Can you live even just for a month without music?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by 003 • May 8, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think so. Without music, whatever I do, I think time passes so slowly. It seems as if it were not moving at all. I feel so bored despite me being occupied. All my life I have been with music. Not a month passed by without it by my side. So, I think I can't.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a time when working abroad I had to stay longer than two months without listening to music. It was a remote part and we didn't travel to the nearest towns frequently because it was winter, the roads were bad making it impossible to leave the outpost. I didn't I could miss music that much. When eventually we had to get in town and into a bar, the first thing we told the owner was, "please play us some music." We couldn't understand the language but at least it was a relief.

I think I can go for a month without music but I don't think I'd go past two months.

3. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Music is very, very important to me, and I can't imagine even going a day without listening to it. My iPod is full of songs that I love and many of which are special to me, so they definitely help get me through the day on my way to work and home from work. It's not even a matter of boredom for me, I just really love it. :D

4. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    No, it would be really hard for me to live without music. I could live without music if I had too, but I wouldn't enjoy it. I love my music. When I am working I have to have the radio on, I also can't sleep without music being in the background. Music is a big part of life for my family. My brother, dad, uncle and two of my sisters all play in bands, so I have grown up with music being part of my day to day life.

5. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know. I wouldn't want to, but I guess if I had to, I would make the necessary adjustments. A few years ago, I lost my ipod. I really didn't know what I was going to do, since I used it as a constant companion, especially when waiting for or riding the bus. But I lived through it. Riding the bus became a time for me to gather my thoughts, even on really long bus trips, ones that I had been accustomed to listening to several hours of music. That being said, the longest I have ever gone without listening to music of some kind has probably been a couple of days. I seriously wonder how long I could go.

6. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I love music and listen to music several times a day. I can't go a day without listening to music. It has become a part of my life and it relaxes me. Therefore, I would not several a month without music. To tell you the truth, I probably won't be able to last a week.

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think I can. I always wanted something to listen to whenever I commute, just to keep me company on the long hours. Also, listening to music calms my nerves, I find it helpful in relieving stress and I cannot sleep at night without Moonlight Sonata playing in the background.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Technically you can but it would be impossible to stand it. I know most people love music but I love music more than most people. I try to listen everyday. It has gotten me through some really dark days and monotony. Also rhythm video games are my favorite to play.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I mean, I could live without music for one month... being without music doesn't kill you! But I would definitely be sad and moody at the end of the month! I think music makes you feel better, lighter, makes you identify with lyrics and free your brain of stress and problems. It's pleasant for our health and well being - but all that being said, it's not crucial for our living.

10. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not as into listening to music as I use to be but I do have the radio on every morning in the car. Could I go thirty days without listening to any music? I thought I could but the more I think about it maybe not.

11. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I could if I got something else to make up for it. Like being able to go outside or if I had something else fun to do.

I guess it would be better if I wasn't dependent on music though, like using it to feel safe. I have a habit of repeating the same music over and over to avoid thinking of bad things. Most of the time I don't physically listen to it.

12. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Generally speaking,I couldn't live without music. Music is the industry where I earn my livelihood from. I teach music and I also write about music. Even in the freelance world, I provide content for clients needing music related stuff.
    On the recreational side, I can go for a week without music. That can be weird for someone whose life is surrounded by music, but I have tried that. I went through a hiatus period by not listening to music. It's sort of a mental detox or defrag. I just had to stop listening and analyzing music for a while so that I can have a fresh perspective when I work on music again. For recreation, I listen to the lighter stuff like smooth ambient instrumentals or light bossa nova.

13. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I think I can but I will really miss it. Music is good at times when you are bored and you just want to sit at home and cool down after a week of a lot struggles probably at work. But I can not say that I really depend on it that much.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I would not be able to go without music, I can go without food better than music. I go to sleep listening to music. Music is very important to my well being. The 3 things I must have in my life to stay balanced are music, plants and sunlight.

15. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    No! There's is no way that I could go a month without some sort of music. Music is pretty important in my daily live, and I'd probably go a little batty without it.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends, because when I'm very busy, I don't really notice time passing by, so I do what I do and at the end of the day I fall asleep. But when I have free time, then for sure I will not live without music, especially if there was no internet, tv, or pc games to keep me company.

17. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    I would survive, but I wouldn't like it much. Music is such a big part of our lives. We could live in silence, as those without hearing do, and take pleasure in sights, rather than sounds, but, being used to hearing, we would feel the lack of it and long for anything auditory.

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    There was a time when I couldn't have been able to, but nowadays I listen only on choice occasions. I now prefer videos or TV as a background noise instead of music, so I'd usually just play a show I like online if I were doing something and needed some noise around me. So yes, I could probably live a month without music, and I probably have lived through a month without music already, but I'd probably still be worried if I had to go for longer without it.

19. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I once even lived for nearly a year without music. I decided to "drop out", get away from everything and live in a remote area with a few others. It was an amazing experience. Even these days I don't really notice it very much if I haven't listened to music for a while. I certainly don't need it every day. But maybe that's not true... I need nature music. :)
    Without the sound of animals and insects, the ocean, wind and rain, I would definitely feel lost.

20. davbopol13

davbopol13Active Member

Threads:
    I was talking with my Mom and she seemed to be depressed. I asked her if she ever listened to music and she said no. I told her that I thought if she listened to music more often she could come out of this depression. She did as I advised, and sure enough, she came out of her depression. This would strickly depend on the individual, but for the most part we need music!