Can your dog swim?

Discussion in Pets started by whnuien • May 20, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I ask because our dogs are very funny. We have 4 of them and they love going to the farm with us. Before we get to the farm we have to cross a river and that's when the trouble starts.

One of them always gets so excited and has no problem swimming all the way to the other side of the river but the other three will usually start getting worried and "cry" non stop while trying to get themselves in the water :D

In the end we have to carry them but it's so annoying because they are big and heavy :D

2. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I have 3 dogs. One loves to swim, one loves to wade only ~ her feet have to feel the bottom but she loves the water, the third one is a dachshund, (my avatar) and loves to swim unless it's flowing too fast.

The trouble starts when the one that wants to swim will yank in the one that doesn't. Thing is, they are double dog leashed together on a split leash. You haven't lived until you get yanked by one dog that pulls in, and the other pulling hard to be OUT. lol. So of course, it's me that gets yanked hard.

If it's a very large body of water such as a river or lake, we have to cross by foot, over a bridge, my middle size girl won't do it. But that doesn't happen very often, we are usually in a vehicle for that. If it's a park or something with a bridge and only a creek or a little more, and she can SEE the solid ground past it, she is ok and will usually cross it.

Now if you had asked if they fished. Yes, they all fish, holding their breath to get something out of the water.

#2May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
  3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would not really know as of now, because he hasn't been to an area where there is a body of water, but I hope that he knows, considering that he's a hyper Jack Russell Terrier. I heard some dogs just know instinctively what to do when they are on water.

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    That might be true because we never gave any training to one of our dogs that can really swim and enjoys swimming actually. I'm sure the other three are just purely afraid and hate to get wet so they don't bother about swimming at all.

5. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I think dogs have an instinct to swim, when needed. Some dogs might not like doing it, but I think they're all hardwired to know how to do the "doggy paddle.

My dog loves jumping in the pool and swimming though. When she was a little younger, she'd be able to play fetch for an hour jumping into the pool. I don't think we ever taught her to swim either.

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    My dog hates hates hates water. My guess is that he inherited this from his cat sister. It makes me a bit sad though when we go to the beach or a pool. He's just not having it. Strange enough he enjoys a shower. Quite a character.