Canadian Food Shopping

Discussion in Food & Drink started by chanboy • Jan 18, 2016.

1. chanboy

chanboyNew Member

Threads:
    Greetings to any Canadian lurkers here. Since goods here are quite expensive compared to the United States. I am wondering where you guys shop for the best deals. I currently shop at Superstore and Walmart for my food.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Hello Canadians! Like you in Hawaii food and everything else is high. We got Walmart locally too that helps in every dept. for good prices. We have weekly sales from CVS, Safeway grocery store as well as other local stores either Wed. ads or Sunday ads that go for a week. I know what it feels like when you got high prices and we pay sales tax 4.5 to boot! As I researched a little I see that there's Safeway at Canada. Safeway has weekly ads with good prices! :)
    * Canada's Safeway store locator:

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy my food from local farmers as much as possible, but the off season stuff I just go to whatever grocery store and buy as close as possible to home or frozen. I don't skimp on produce, my health is far more important than that.. same for supporting Walmart; I'll never do it and will never trust their food. We don't spend a lot in general on anything, so it's easy to eat the way we want without worry of cutting corners to save a some pennies. Besides, eating healthy is cheapest anyway, so I'm already saving a ton.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I live in Ottawa and I find that for best prices on produce I will shop around. I look through flyers and look for the cheapest prices on produce. I find Food Basics has good deals on fruits and vegetables. I also like Farm Boy as well. They have hands down the best looking produce in terms of freshness and quality. Sometimes I'll spend a little more to get better quality produce. I find when I go to Walmart the produce has usually been picked over and the quality isn't as great as other stores. I also have a hard time with going to Walmart because of the parking. The lot is small at my Walmart and the spots are tight. I prefer Loblaws or Metro too.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am familiar with Loblaws they used to have them in North Western Pennyslvania where I am from but they went out awhile ago. Do you Canadian's ever make trips to the states to stock up on goods? I know when my mother used to work at the mall, there were often Canadians who made it a practice to shop there to save money,