Cancelling Banks Accounts.

Discussion in Bank Accounts started by ExpertAdvice • Feb 26, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever cancelled or closed a bank account? what were your reasons? Currently. I am considering closing an account I have with Scotiabank bank they are always charging me for having my account under a certain balance while other banks in my country do not do this. I find it ridiculous, lol, although I was told that this would happen, and although I have had this account for two years or more...I have just had enough, so bye bye for now Scotiabank.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've closed a few bank accounts. For three of them I had no good reasons but for the last one, I was spurred on by all the hidden fees they charged. I was working as a freelancer back then and I got lots of cash from clients who lived abroad. But for each international [money] transfer, they charged hefty fees. When opening the account I had asked all the right questions and they lied to me. When I realized that I'd been deceived, I had no options but to find a better bank to do business with.

3. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Closing a bank is easy, I actually closed my old account as I was switching banks due to getting a better deal.

I just went into the branch, had them swap the money over, then close my account, just make sure you bring some ID/Proof of account ownership so they can sort it out, shouldn't take much longer than a few minutes, I was in and out in no time!

4. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, this is unbelievable, why didn't you sue? You could be a much more wealthy man if you had! That is a direct misrepresentation of contract! Also, in what ways did you do your freelancing? I've been trying to do the same for a while but I haven't got the hang of it yet. Any help would be appreciated!
    @orz@orz lol, you seemed like you loved the process of closing accounts! I find that interesting.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to work with some people who were game developers. It's not that I was a coder. I wrote promotional stuff for them. Stories, creating scripts which they'd use to create commercials which were posted on youtube and tutorials . . .

Later once, I'd made a name for myself, I was hired to polish up stories written by ghost writers who didn't bother to proofread the their manuscripts. And then . . . I had enough.

The easiest way to become a freelancer is to register on outsourcing sites, Elance or Odesk, get your first jobs on those sites to build your portfolio. That's all you need to get more work. After that it's easier to get better paying work elsewhere.

Interested in freelance writing and you'd rather not wait a long time to build a portfolio? Take a look at the article linked to below:

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't usually close them although I have certainly been tempted in the past.

One particular reason for closing is the fees if I have an alternative that doesn't charge fees. I've closed them when I've moved away from the area and that particular chain isn't available in my new area, too.