Caramelized Onions In The Crock Pot - What Those Recipe Sites Neglect To Warn You About...

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • May 13, 2014.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Your whole place will *STINK* of onions for HOURS! lol. I'm not kidding, my house reeks right now. And to make it even worse, I have my slow cooker in my bedroom (long story, all the other outlets in The House have a tendency to go out when I plug my crock pot into them for some reason, this outlets in my bedroom are the only ones that don't short out for some reason. I can smell it all through the house though. These better bet worth it!

It normally takes a good 45 minutes or longer to make caramelized onions on the stove, and you have to keep stirring them constantly over a very low heat. This sounded super convenient to just throw them all in a crock pot and let it work it's magic, but this smell is killing me, lol.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Lol!!

I have never done onions in the slow cooker like that, but it doesn't surprise me any.

FYI, if you can't use your kitchen outlets, you might want to consider an extension cord that goes out the window. I sometimes cook with my crockpots placed outside. I usually do this when I have multiples going and I don't want to take up counter space, or more importantly, I don't want to heat up my kitchen in the summer time. You might want to consider that to avoid the smell, too. I actually got this tip from a pregnant woman who couldn't stand the smell of food cooking while she was pregnant, so she would always put her crockpots either in the garage or outside.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately I like the smell of onions but I can relate to your issue. I try to make aromatic foods on days when I can at least keep the windows open. I live in a small flat and I can smell everything being cooked on my floor.

If you own your own place ohiotom76, consider getting a 20 amp outlet put in your kitchen on a separate circuit. Most older homes are not wired to handle today's electrical needs and the kitchen takes the brunt of the burden. While it is not a minor thing to do, those who cook a lot can really benefit by having a dedicated appliance outlet as most household circuits are connected to lighting and other plugs.