Castor Oil For Hair Growth

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Blossom • Aug 7, 2012.

1. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen some youtube videos and also seen info on blogs about using castor oil for hair growth. Has anyone tried this? If so, what were your results? I've been a little skeptical about using it because it just seems so thick and I don't like for my hair to be heavy.

2. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried this. I bought a castor oil treatment combined with some other healthy oils from Walmart for a few bucks. I find it does help and my hair has grown quite significantly over the past year, more so than it normally has. But that also could be the result of a better diet and less heat styling. One thing though, it is pretty thick in consistency and quite difficult to wash out of your hair. It usually takes a few washes over a couple days before I feel like its out of my hair.

3. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I have tried using castor oil however I think I use too much at times because it's so thick and I end up having residue in my hair. I do notice thicker hair and some growth. If I was even more diligent and consistent I'd see better results. I still have my castor oil and have heard the same as you regarding increasing hair growth. It's also great for your ends as well.

4. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I've tried castor oil on my eyebrows and lashes. Between the two, I found it helped thicken my brows but had little effect on my lashes. I find castor oil way too sticky for my hair. If at all, I might use it in an oil blend, leave it on the scalp for a short while and shampoo it off quickly. Something I might try one of these days :)

5. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    It is said that this oil stimulates hair growth. At least it has been found that many products containing it for the eyelashes, helping to strengthen and lengthen. People have noticed these changes. I have not tested this theory. This oil has a very thick consistency, which makes it difficult to remove when applied without being mixed with a light oil consistency. I think there is some truth in its natural properties, and surely this substance will lead to improved health of our hair. Only a matter of proving its use, trial and error. It's a very good moisturizer for the skin and that is why preventing the dryness of the scalp, which is very important if we want to grow our hair is given in top condition.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I've been told about castor oil by older immigrant hairdressers who insist that "American" castor oil is not good enough and that you have to get "old world" castor oil from Haiti or Africa. She presented me with a bottle of something that looked cloudier than any castor oil I've ever seen before. Seriously, though, other than the appearance, I can't imagine what the difference would be.

7. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard people talk about Jamaican Castor Oil, but that regular castor oil is just as effective. I actually heard a story about someone using the Jamaican Castor Oil on relaxed hair. Instead of helping it to grow, it started causing breakage. I've always heard great testimonies about the regular castor oil.

8. couponaholic

couponaholicBanned

Threads:
    I used cold-pressed castor oil that I bought from drugstore.com. I do honestly believe it works on "some" hair and maybe needs more time for other hairs. I say this because after using it some of my individual hairs got very thick, longer and darker. However, most hair only seen a slight change. But the end verdict is that it does work.

9. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Her first problem was that her hair was relaxed, haha! Everything about that process causes breakage.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have use castor oil as a hot oil treatment for my hair when it gets a little dry. It works good. I don't like the smell so I wash it out as soon as I can.

11. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    I have been using castor oil and I personally feel that it has done good to my hair. Yes! It's thick so I add little almond oil to it . This makes the mixture light & it's also easy to apply. Earlier after I used to wash my hair it used to become very dry but now it remains smooth and soft. I am sure this is because of castor oil treatment.

12. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Wow, this is a cool one! I have not tried this before. I will now. (-: Thank you. I do know that applying warm castor oil to the body and wrapping it in a towel/cloth...helps rid your body of toxins. Helps with alleviating constipation too. I really have to get some of this oil and try it out....again, thank you for a really cool thread.

13. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I know that castor oil is very good for the hair and will help it to grow. We use to use this in our hair when we were young and that is a true statement. I also use coconut oil and coconut milk for my hair and it does wonders for the hair as well. So try that for some new hair growth and you won't be sorry.

14. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I use Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) and its great for hair growth. JBCO thickens the hair, make it less prone to damage/breakage, and make the hair shiny. It also has other great health benefits and can be used to treat pimples/warts as well as muscular aches.

15. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    It's true that relaxing hair can cause damage, but I know people with relaxed hair that have long, healthy hair. They have found ways to prevent breakage by keeping it moisturized and using products such as the castor oil and some of the other oils mentioned here. Thanks everyone for all of your input. I think I am going to try mixing the castor oil with coconut oil since the coconut oil is not as thick.

16. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I would just think this would be so messy and sticky. Have you tried biotin for hair growth? My husband and I both take it and our hair and nails grow like weeds.

17. QueenPisces

QueenPiscesNew Member

Threads:
    I've tried Castor oil on my hair before, but while it made my hair soft, it also was very heavy for my hair and it was a bit annoying trying to spend the oil throughout my entire head. I'm thinking about trying Moroccan Oil, which is supposed to make your hair healthy and shiny, but I will continue using the Castor oil for my eyebrows and eyelashes because I did notice my eyebrows looked a bit fuller than before recently.

18. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried castor oil and it works well for hair growth when applied to the scalp regularly. I also used it on the length of my hair to seal in moisture and it works very well for that as well. I stopped using it because I read somewhere that it darkens hair.

19. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    A warm oil massage with castor oil helps reduce hairfall and brings bounce and shine to your hair. I love these fortnightly treatments. I do this regularly and my hair is thick and healthy. I absolutely love this.

20. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I've tried castor oil too and it does work. It's an old remedy in the islands for hair problems. Since I live in Florida, that was one of the oils that was first recommended to me when I wanted to grow my hair long. The only 2 problems were its thickness and its smell. The smell was awful. So, I was only able to do it as a conditioning treatment once a week. I'd put it on my hair and leave it while I did chores around the house. And then I'd wash it out a few hours later.