Catalogue shopping

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Mayvin • Oct 19, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    If I wasn't the type that needed to try every little thing on to make sure it fit right, I would probably be shopping for my clothes in a catalogue. Ah... the luxury of being able to just point at something I want and then have it shipped to me. Although a lot of catalogues I've seen the clothes look kind of lame, that's just me. I may be more inclined to do online clothes shopping on like Walmart, Target, or Ross maybe.

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love catalog shopping, even though I can see it all online I like the time to look through and compare the price of items. It also gives me a chance to go to the store and save time to look for what I want.

Often catalogs give discounts, so they can save a lot and with rebates from ebates and companies like that it can all add up. Many throw in free shipping too and the best thing is everything is clean and hasn't been tried on. I hate trying things on and finding a deodorant stain, especially if it's the last one. They are also good for people who live in rural areas as I found myself once and was grateful to be able to order some clothes online.

3. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I like to catalog shop a lot only because, I just recently lost some weight and I know exactly what size I am. My mom used to have a lot of catalogs and I would love to look at them all. Any type of shopping is fun. Shopping at the store is overrated, too crowded and long lines.

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I loved the idea of catalogue shopping when I was a bit younger, like you mentioned, the idea of just picking out and having it come to you seems luxurious and nice...but in reality I end up wanting to try things on myself, and I've gotten so accustomed to online shopping that I'd pick that before catalogue shopping anyway. Guess part of it is just what you're used to.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Catalogue shopping is all right. I used to enjoy it when I was in College. Fast forward six years later, it's now a less enjoyable shopping option for me. Let me count the ways:
    1. I often encountered size issues.
    2. I almost always saw people wearing the same clothes (I once ordered a shirt that must have been ordered a hundred times by different people). It kind of deflates you when your goal is to wear something that sets you apart from the rest.
    3. Waiting period can sometimes be annoying.
    4. I had to shake my head when a chosen design run out of stock.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love browsing catalogs but that's about it. Although, if having it shipped was the only option and I really wanted the product then I would consider it, absolutely. I'd much rather just pick it up myself if it were clothes though. For other things like toys I could probably deal with not seeing the product first, but nowadays that everything is sold online I doubt I will do much shopping through catalogs anymore.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I like the convenience, but I don't like the prices. Often catalogues cost just as much as stores, perhaps just a little less. But it's not significant when you can get better deals on ebay, where you can't try them on either. I usually just go for ebay since I get the best prices that way if I can't find something at a consignment shop or Goodwill.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also just browse various catalogs which are included in the newspapers that we buy, and I never felt the urge to buy anything while browsing it. I'm more inclined to browse and buy things online, since catalogs still require you to go to a physical store to be able to buy the item.

9. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I look through a catalog is for black Friday. I end up buying from Cyber Monday since it is cheaper.

10. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I have never actually purchased anything from a catalog. I sometimes get them in the mail because stores I buy things from send them to me. I like flipping through them but I eventually purchase things online or in the store. Filling out the forms and buying through a catalog seems like a hassle. I'd rather do it online and have electronic records of everything. Seems easier and more organized that way.

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really feel like doing a catalogue shopping. It's not exciting as going on a shopping physically. But the good side of this is that less time would be spent and less distraction. Chances are you would only get what you really like and what you really need because of limited, but at the same time great options. Nevertheless, I rarely do this.

12. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    When Appropriate

Catalogue shopping, right? That is... Not my main shopping method. I flipped through product catalogues for kitchen equipments and cookware when I traveling a few years ago. The persons next to me bought some stuffs from the catalogue and looked comfortable about their purchase.

On an art gallery opening night, I was given a product catalogue that was passed around throughout the event. Private purchases that had to be done through catalogue shopping I guess are inevitable at an art gallery pool party.

Way back in school I have purchased makeup and other products through catalogues. They seemed appropriate for the products. Going to exhibitions of tech, industrial and fashion products, I even keep their product catalogues that I would go through at the end of the day.

#12Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014