Cayenne Pepper and Apple Cider for colds

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Blossom • Oct 6, 2012.

1. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I ran across something in a where a lady said she uses cayenne pepper and Apple cider vinegar for colds. It was something that was intended to entice you to buy the magazine, so it didn't have the full report. Has anyone ever tried this combination. I've tried apple cider when I have problems with allergies and sinus infections and have had great results. I was wondering if adding to cayenne pepper would somehow make it work faster.

2. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    I've used ACV with honey to help alleviate symptoms, but don't see why cayenne pepper cannot be added to the mixture as well, since this pepper is said to help with nasal congestion by thinning and liquefying the mucous.

3. catevanne

catevanneMember

Threads:
    Cayenne pepper can wash out mucous, which holds onto lots of germs-maybe this is partly the reason it works for colds. Apples are full of all kinds of vitamins, don't know about apple cider...I would have thought apple cider vinegar would be a better choice-lots of people drink it for its health benefits.

4. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I can see the pepper clearing out the congestion (I eat a lot of hot food when I catch a cold), but I'm at all sure what the cider is supposed to be doing.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Catevanne covered what the cayenne pepper does.

The apple cider vinegar is said to slow down mucous production, sinus problems, and watery eyes because it has really high levels of potassium in it. It's also supposed to keep your pH levels balanced which helps prevent the cold/flur from attacking as hard.

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Either one f these would be fine on its own, but I don't think the combination makes it significantly more potent.