Celebrity Endorsed Products

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Theo • Dec 4, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Does this influence you at all? Last night on the television, it was a constant stream of actors in fragrance adverts and Nicole Kidman doing an advert for a vitamin I have never heard of. Most of us know the celebrities don't always use the products and are doing it for the money, but does it make you want to buy something or not?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It totally and completely influences me.. to not buy it. I don't see advertisements these days, since I stopped our television service, so I'm not sold to anymore. It's really made a big difference in our lives. Even in our spending; I now buy what I need when I need it; we're not tempted to "need" anything more. But even when I was still being sold to, I hated commercials and the reason for them and any celebrity I saw taking part in it, just turned me off. From them and the product.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Oh absolutely - NOT - as apart from the fact that advertisements of any kind are totally wasted on me - as regardless of what they may be touting - they would very definitely not have any influence on my spending habits - for the simple reason - that not only do I always only ever buy things that are actually needed - but as quality and value for money are extremely important to me - I never buy anything on face value.

In fact if anything - out of all the marketing tactics used - celebrity endorsed products would be the least likely to sway me into parting with money - as to be perfectly honest - if a product actually needs a celebrity endorsement in order to sell it - then its generally not worth buying.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never buy products endorsed by celebrities. To be honest I hardly ever buy any advertised products because the existing ones [or the product I already use] are good enough for me. Unless it's an entirely new product which as yet doesn't have an alternative I wouldn't buy it simply because it was endorsed by a celebrity.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really mind if the endorser is a celebrity or if there is an endorser at all because I am loyal to the products I buy. However, I know of several persons who would buy the product simply because it was endorsed by their idol. Our housemaid, for instance, wanted to order McDonald's new special meal because it is endorsed by Aldub, the most famous celebrity at the moment.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It actually puts me right off! The minute I see these products, I look the other way. Celebrity scents rarely work for me anyway. I just see it as them making a quick buck. Realistically, just how much of themselves do they really invest in these products? Do they actually believe in them, and use them? I suspect strongly the answer to all those questions is a resounding NO. So yes, it does influence me NOT to buy any of the products. I've noticed some of these celebrities do the commercials just to revive their failing careers. They're usually flashy and great adverts to watch, though.....IMHO that's all they are good for :)

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's never influenced me to buy anything, because really you are paying them by buying it. The worse ones are when you see well known celebrities cashing in on their name on a brand or product you know they probably don't use. For example Sylvester Stallone and a certain bread brand.

I also loathe spokespeople for cosmetics, because they are doing it for easy money. The irony is the company think they have a major coup securing them, but it's all about the money and it pushes up the price of things.

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I could not be influenced by a celebrity endorser because of past time experiences that systematically makes me ignore celebrity endorsed products nowadays.

More than the fact that such products might be deceiving, the factor that contributed to my aversion for those products was my parents' attitude.

When I grew old to start making my own choices and buy my own products, many times I advised them to buy this, or use that other; they used to "pay attention" to my words, but never really taking my advice until a celebrity (or a friend, neighbor or acquaintance) used to came across to recommend what I had already recommended first.

The worst part of this, was having my parents sharing with me their findings on such recommendation, accredited to the person that came later with the news, what made me see they never were really listening to me, or simply ignored me.

Today, a celebrity endorsed product could be the next big deal on Earth, but yet I would systematically turn it down because of those early memories.

9. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    In light of all the posts I am embarrassed to admit it DOES make me want to buy them! I know it shouldn't but this is my line of thinking: if a big name celebrity (and I mean like Kidman and not Mrs. Brady although I would be tempted to purchase anything she endorses too) backs a product I figure they are risking getting sued if the product is faulty. Or at the very least they are risking their reputation being tainted. So if they are accepting to back this product, when they are famous and don't really need the money, it must be a good investment for the rest of us. I know, I know that is just what the corporate world wants me to believe. I am such a sucker and yet, the first thing I see Hugh Jackman or Jennifer Lopez advertise I will be like 'Oh I want to try that!' I guess I prove that it works and thats why they keep using celebrities to use cheesy backing of products. I actually love JLo's Angel perfume that can be found low costs at all participating CVS Pharmacies.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad to see that someone does buy them, but do you really think they don't need the money? Most don't want to turn down easy money because these jobs don't last forever. Look at Martha Stewart endorsing all kinds of things, and many celebrities only allow the adverts to be shown in certain countries.

I recall Ellen DeGeneres was 'sacked' as the spokesperson for Cover Girl when someone caught her saying she didn't like the products that much and didn't use them. Cosmetics contracts are very lucrative for what they have to do.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, because the company using the celebritiy could be passing the savings on to the consumer in the form of cheaper prices. I mean..it is not like they actually use or wear the product unless they get it for free anyway. They are paid spokes people. They might not hate the product, but I don't see any reason to buy because a celebrity says so. The exception might be Papa John's and the Washington Redskins. It is endorsed by the sports announcers especially Joe Theisman and they give free toppings for every touch down scored

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't get influenced to buy products based on their endorser. I buy products based on the quality and the price if it's affordable. Also, if the consumer reviews online are favorable for the product.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Sometimes it does work for me as it adds a certain charm to the products I'm using, but I wouldn't consider it a major factor in helping me make my decision as I'm still more likely to base that on price as a priority and of course quality as a second priority to factor in when making my decisions. If I know the celebrity were knowledgable in a certain subject or if they weren't prone to endorsing products left and right just for the money, then I'd more likely take it into consideration when they do endorse it, but most of the time I just base my decisions on whether or not the product itself is good instead of who is endorsing it.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess it is easy for me to say no, because there are not any celebrities that I look up to. Of course there are certain public figures that I follow. But to be that into them that I believe every word coming out of their mouth, despite the knowledge that they are only endorsing products because companies are paying them? That's not me.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing is once the deal is over, (usually a couple of years) the stock is then sold as to discount shops, because they don't want to sell it in premium places any longer. I often find celebrity products on sale because the contract has ended and thus the person is no longer contracted to promote the products. Here, you can find some good bargains, and people sell them on ebay as collectibles.

16. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    It does influence me sometimes, like when a celebrity is on Instagram with photos of products they're using, I might decide to get some for myself because they look good - so the added exposure of a celeb using a product would look great for a business. But when it is obviously a post that a celeb has been paid for that's different, and when I can see that it is just being advertised blatantly I won't go anywhere near it.

17. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    This tactic doesn't work on me at all. Most likely because I'm not into worshipping celebrities and having to have everything they have or endorse. This tactic may work on small children and teens though. I recently saw a commercial for a shampoo and Selena Gomez was in it. Before that it was the coco pebbles cereal with some basketball player. I'm thinking this is LeBron James. Then there was the fruity pebbles commercial with John Cena. Then you have Sharon ozborn with the Atkins commercial. Then there was Jennifer Hudson with weightwatchers. I feel that if a product truly works then there is no need for celebrity endorsement.

18. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not convinced, generally speaking, celebrities know more about quality. For one thing, many are not experts but rather are simply a way to draw eyeballs to ads. On the other hand, there are a few exceptions. For instance, if a well known drummer endorsed an electronic drum kit brand, then it might make me want to buy it more.

19. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, you mention that it was a vitamin that a celebrity was endorsing. I think there is nothing to worry about for vitamin has no side effect. In fact, it boosts one's health. It supplements and supplies the lack of vitamins a body needs. It would be another issue if the product endorsed by a celebrity has been noted for a side effect or has a negative effect on the body. Then it is not good to patronize or buy that product.