Celery!

Discussion in Food & Drink started by 003 • Mar 22, 2015.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It makes me wonder why there are some people who don't like the taste of celery. For it's perfect just like chilis. I would never get tired of eating it even if I keep on eating it everyday. It's packed with a lot of nutrients and it also speeds up metabolism.

2. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know why but celery is virtually the only food I cannot eat. Cannot abide the stuff. It's been like that since I was a little kid. I don't think it will change as I get older either.

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I know people who hate celery, dill, cilantro, & a huge list of things I don't fully understand. It's not as though they have a great reason (mind you these are grown adults) it basically comes down to, 'I just don't like it'. So me being the jerk I secretly am always incorporate these things they claim to hate into meals I make for them. MOST of the time I get away with it. :cool:

4. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    I love celery. I like to snack on it with peanut butter stuffed in it. I add it to chilie, spagettie, soups, stews, and of course in tuna and other types of salads. I am Type 2 diabetic and if my blood sugar is to low, the peanut butter in a celery stalk is an ideal way to bring my sugar back up to an acceptable level without being a carb.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can't understand why people like celery. It smells awful and tastes awful. If a salad has celery in it it has to be picked out, I never use it for stock and if my parents cook it they have to air the place as the smell makes me physically sick.

The fumes are toxic to me and it can ruin a meal if if find any celery in it.

6. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Hmmm.I didn't realize that there were so many who couldn't abide celery. I love it stuffed with pimiento cheese or peanut butter. I love it with cream cheese, too, but try to avoid that. I also love it cooked in tomato dishes but can take it or leave it in chicken stock.

Really I don't know what it is I like about it since it's so bland, and the fact that it is bland is why I have a hard time imagining why anyone would hate it. Not caring for it I can see, but there's not enough to it to hate.:)

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only like it with ranch or on occasion blue cheese. I'm not into saucing/dipping stuff in general.
    Yeah I agree with your second paragraph. It's essentially just edible water almost but there are people that exist that hate water so anything's possible.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I like celery in general, but I can understand how the taste can be a bit off putting in certain dishes. What also becomes an issue for me is when certain spice blends have celery in them, but it ends up being a really strong artificial celery taste that ruins the overall flavor of the dish. I tried this product called Jane's Krazy Mixed Up Salt, which some people were raving about online. But one thing I quickly noticed was that it had an awful weird celery like undertone to it that I didn't care for at all. It's also very prominent in Morton's Nature's Seasoning blend, which is supposed to be a lighter alternative to their Season-All blend.

Another weird mix with celery that I don't like at all is a Bird's Eye (I think that's the brand) vegetable medley that's got peppers, onions and celery. For some reason the celery in it has a really strong taste which overpowers the dish. It's weird because when I cook with plain fresh celery, it's not nearly as strong.

9. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I love celery, raw with ranch dip or peanut butter, and for making stock. I don't it taste bad or has any smell to it. It is crunchy and it makes my mouth happy to chew it :). I know it also has a lot of health benefits so I try to eat them raw as much as I can.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Same here. I've always wanted to like it and I keep trying it regularly, just in case it's something I can tolerate, but no such luck yet. I can't stand the taste, smell, or texture, so it's really hard to get past it.