cell phone vs using a camera to take pictures?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Mayvin • Aug 20, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm used to using a camera to take pictures, I guess I'm old school like that lol. But it seems like so many people instead of using a camera just use their cell phone and the pictures come out so well. I'm wondering if most people even use digital cameras anymore to take pictures? Do you just use your cell phone?

2. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    Many people don't have cell phones that are powerful enough to take decent photographs. I prefer to use my camera if I know I will take a lot of photos. For a random photo here and there, I just use my phone and it turns out well. But if you are a hobby photographer, you simply have to have a decent camera. A smartphone just won't cut it! The picture quality is still light years away.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    There's really no comparison between a digital camera and your phone. Although phone picture quality has vastly improved over the last few years, you simply need a digital camera if you want consistently quality pictures.

What's nice is you can find nice digital cameras for cheap these days. It won't be a super nice one, but there are quality ones out there for $50-$100.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I generally use my phone (iPhone) to take photos but it's really only because I am lazy and don't bring my digital camera with me everywhere. It's also really easy to pull out your phone for a quick pic. If I am going to an event, wedding, graduation or birthday party I will generally bring a camera because I definitely want the pictures to be the highest quality possible. Honestly though I am somewhat impressed with the quality of iPhone photos.

5. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    You should use the camera or cell phone with the best ability to take a good photo.

However, it goes without saying that pros on the field of photography use a camera. They spend big bucks on a camera that out does anything a cell phone would do.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't take a lot of pictures but when I do I use my phone. Recently at the graduation I wished I had a camera but it did not make me run out and purchase a camera. My pictures come out in a good quality I think.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer using a digital cam a lot more most of the time, as much as possible. They take much higher quality pictures and smartphone cameras just can't compare. There are some that may be able to take very good photos but those are very expensive and for that price I think d just stick with a regular digicam and save myself some money, even if it means having to carry around a separate device, since like I said at least it takes much better pictures.

8. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I simply use my phone to take pictures. I'm not a professional photographer who needs to have a camera around every time. Also, I'm very satisfied with the picture quality of my phone because it's 8MP.

Using the camera of my phone is also very convenient because I could easily get it out of my pocket and start taking pictures.
    The camera of my phone is perfect for capturing everyday moments, moments that are not staged. Also, pictures taken from my phone could easily be edited and shared to various social media networks (unlike when you use a camera).

9. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    No. I don't have a smartphone. I have a cheap basic phone. I take pictures with my DSLR. I have a Canon t3 and got a new 70d this year. The 70d is what I'm using now for any shoots but the t3 is always ready to go in my desk for any quick pic I may want to take, like a pic of my cats if they're doing something cute. Honestly I wish I had a smartphone because sometimes it's convenient. A lot of times I've seen something that I would like to take a quick picture of but I don't have my camera with me, as it's too big and bulky. The smartphone is never going to be the same quality as the DSLR or even a compact digital camera, but you can't beat it in terms of convenience. I'd say for non professionals or photography enthusiasts, for those who just want family pics and selfies, the smartphone is enough.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer a camera, but often to take a snapshot a phone is quicker and easier. In addition it is easier to share by emailing it or posting it on social media. With a camera, you have to download and it's fine for yourself, but some people are used to the 'now' and expect it instantly.

Also when you ask other people to take a photo for you, most know how to use a camera phone. I always get asked to take photos of other people!

11. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Okay first of all, phones are phones, they're not cameras. Of course I do take pictures using a camera they're better at it because they're made to do it. If you're talking about photography type of picture taking then a phone won't cut it but is it's just a casual selfie then a phone will do.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well some people are just not photo enthusiasts, so they're quite content with shooting with a 5 or 8 megapixel camera from their phones. I think that if you want to take close up shots of objects then you really need a clearer camera to do the job, because 2 megapixel cameras will not be able to deliver clear pictures.

13. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even a basic digital camera will beat the image quality of most smartphones, unless you consider the Lumia 1020 with its 41-megapixel camera or Samsung's similar offering. Digital cameras produce better quality images, and the difference is night and day for people that care about image quality. Smartphones are fine for taking random photos, but you'll want to capture meaningful moments with a real camera.

14. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I would use a cellphone camera unless I'm taking pretty important photos. My cellphone camera's quality is more than enough for casual pictures and it's just convenient to use a cell phone. It would be nice, personally, to have a high quality digital camera, but unless I was a professional I wouldn't have any need for it, or really get anything out of it. My cell phone camera takes pictures at 1600x1200, where you can definitely see noise, but there's no need for me to have normal picture kept at this size.

15. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I would prefer to use a cell phone to take a picture than a camera for many reasons. One is that you have lots of apps on your phone to edit a particular picture. I always prefer to edit a picture before storing it. It is also very comfortable to hold on to a cell phone rather than a camera as we are very much used to having our phone everywhere we go. I do not feel very comfortable to have my camera in my pocket and roam about. Hence. I always prefer to buy a phone with exceptional camera quality.

16. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Of course a camera is better than a phone. But if you're just casually taking pictures then it's okay. I do use my phoen to take pictures since phones today have excellent cameras and can produce very crisp images.

17. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Phones today have really powerful cameras and do take great pictures but if you're expecting Photography grade photo's then an iPhone won't cut it. I mean sure it looks good but there's more to it than just pixels and overall photo appeal.

18. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I am sure there are many people who are still using digital cameras to take pictures instead of cell phones. Keep in mind that most cell phones come fitted with a front and/or rear camera. This makes it easier for people to take picture since they would not need to carry a separate camera. Phone cameras seldom come with more than 5 Mega Pixels whereas most digital cameras come with at least 10 Mega Pixels. Needless to say the more pixels the better the picture you get.