Ceramic Pans

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Jan 10, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I saw ceramic pans being used on a cooking show on tv and I'm now thinking of buying one for myself. I think I'd buy more of different sizes because I've been planning on replacing my old teflon pans anyway but I'm just unsure if I should replace them with ceramic pans of different sizes or if I should just buy one and buy regular ones for the rest instead. The thing I worry about is if it would be appropriate for cooking any type of dish, as I think a regular pan might still cook some things a bit differently. I'd like to hear from anyone here whose had experience with ceramic pans first before making my decision.

2. Cryyo

CryyoMember

Threads:
    I just got my first ceramic pan for christmas. It reminds me a lot of having a cast iron pan. The real thing I have found it is good for is bread, because bread needs to be cooked hot and fast. You can leave it in the oven when it is preheating and then drop the dough right in the hot pan. I'm pretty sure they are appropriate for cooking just about everything, to answer your question.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I was interested in perhaps picking up some of these as well, but I've heard mixed reviews on them. Some folks said they worked fine at first but quickly lost their "non stick" capabilities. Others said they were never as good as a traditional Teflon pan in the first place. I like the fact that the ceramic seems much safer than Teflon, but I am wary of investing in a whole set of them if they start to discolor and stick over time.

Most ceramic bakeware I've ever used, I've never had any problems with, but I am not sure how well a ceramic coating over a metal pan would function.

A few years ago, we bought several of those "greenware" non stick pans which were supposedly safe unlike Teflon, and they had a dull grey finish to them. Food stuck to them like crazy and it only got worse over time. I would say, only the first week or two did they work as advertised on TV, then they quickly started losing their non stick capabilities. I'm not sure if the surface on them was some sort of ceramic based coating or not though.