Cereal boxes with games/toys

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Peninha • Oct 6, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yesterday I was playing the pairs game with cards that came in the back of a cereal box and I find this a really great idea that costs almost nothing to the manufacturers and could lead to more people buying. Do you buy cereals or other foods if they come with toys/games?

2. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I haven't actually seen a ceral that has a toy inside of it for years. I had thought that this gimmick to sell boxes of cereal was a thing of the past. I go shopping with my mother frequently, and visit the cereal section, and I rarely ever see this anymore. I used to see the toy in a box thing a lot more when I was a child.

3. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I always try not to take cereal boxes which consist of toys in it. They make for a great freebie, however, they are really dangerous for the children's health. As the toys remain within the packet for a very long time, the chemicals present in the toys mixes up with cereals and can cause bad effect on children's health. I am surprised why the government has not banned these boxes of cereals till now.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    Hmmm. This is a very interesting take on the situation. I hadn't - for a second - thought of it like this. But it would absolutely make sense. As for the government, when are people going to look at the facts and see that the government do not give a stuff about out health? Lol.

But getting back on topic, I think that the last time I ever got a toy from a cereal box was when I was, like, nine. I am twenty-four tomorrow.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see that from time to time, mostly in Nestle cereals. The last time was when the Rio 2 movie came out, they had a whistle inside, really basic, but the kids were fascinated by it. Impressive how a little piece of plastic makes their heads go crazy!

6. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    No cereal boxes with toys are sold around here but we do have plenty of corn puff bags bundled with toys/games :eek: Usually the toys are cheap and small, like the ones you'd get from the chocolate Kinder eggs. Kids absolutely love them - they get to eat the puffs and play with the toys. All at a really reasonable price.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid I use to be into buying cereal with toys in it but as an adult I don't eat cold cereal anymore (which of course wouldn't have toys in them, the adult cereal). I think its a cleaver idea on the part of manufacturers to get kids wanting to buy a particular brand.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, kids tend to buy food many times because of the gifts they bring, it can be a piece of plastic or a simple sticker, but in their mind it's an amazing sticker collection that happens to have a cake or a chewing gum along...

9. Blake Carl

Blake CarlNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, it's really a good feeling while purchasing a cereal box with toys/games. I used the cereal boxes from here and I think they have manufactured according to my need. I am thinking to make a product for which I need cereal boxes and I am going to get it from

and I am giving them priority just because I have got best quality product, free design support, free shipping, free lamination and definitely best price.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Same here. I thought they put in rules about them being choking hazards and advertising sweets to kids, etc. If they're still around, then that's kind of fun, but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way for the cheap gimmicky games.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    Did they? I wasn't aware that toys in cereal packets had been stopped or limited because they were deemed to be a choking hazard, but I suppose that it makes a lot of sense. Still, a lot of things can be choking hazards, but are still available. So I don't know if I believe them when they claim that. Maybe because of the recession, companies just don't have the funds to put toys in cereal boxes.

12. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We just bought one where a minion was a freebie! My son does not really eat the cereals, we do. But the freebie toy is really cute so that is for him, lol. Minions are in everywhere these days!

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember these when I was a kid. I also bought boxes of cereal with toys in them for my kids. It was tough sometimes with four kids. It would take the last one a month to get her toy, if I bought the cereal once a week, lol. I didn't really buy it *just* for the toy usually, anyway. I usually bought what was on sale or bought off brand.

I do think it's a good form of promotion though. I'm sure they sell a lot more cereal that way.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't seen any freebies for the longest time in cereal boxes, but I always see them bundled with Milo and Ovaltine when I was a kid. I remember being very pleased when I get the toy and play with it.

15. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    90% of the food that I buy tends to be in bulk. As for the rest, there never are any toys included in the packages that I purchase. I don't really care much for games or toys anyway, as it's usually all made of plastic and I can't stand the stuff. I try to keep my home free of plastic. What I don't mind, though, are numbers and codes that comes with some package or jar that give me a chance to win something. :)

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I actually think that the kids of today aren't missing much in the way of free toys in products or cereals. With all of the technology that the children of today have access to - tablets and such - I don't think that toys from products will cut it anyway. So perhaps it doesn't matter that products don't seem to be giving out free toys much these days.

17. butterfly1

butterfly1Member

Threads:
    No I do not buy cereal because of games and toys. I buy cereal because it is what my family eats or because it is on sale. I could not imagine doing that nowadays. The crazy part is that when I did not have kids I did this, lol. Now I try to make a dollar stretch as far as I can.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    Most of the cereals that we buy nowadays anyway, are grown up cereals. They aren't your typical kiddy cereals, although we do buy Lucky Charms from time to time, but they are expensive over here in the UK, so we don't purchase them more frequently. There are three kids in this house with health conditions, so we try to be health in our cereal selection.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The cereals that have premiums or freebies are more expensive, so it's not a real economy. I buy Malt O Meal kiddie cereals which are a good value for money and come in bags. My daughter and I would rather have more portions of cereal for the money than a cheap plastic toy.

20. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When the kids were small and collected certain toys we would purchase that cereal to make them happy. Now that they are teenagers it is no longer a concern. I don't pay attention to the cereals that have the toys or rewards in them anymore.