Cereals with something else

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Oct 16, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes we want to eat something and have nothing at home, so we just have some cereals and milk, but even so that is not enough. I usually add banana or other fruits to the cereals and I love it. Do you also add something to your cereals?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't have cereals anymore over here, but I don't remember adding any fruits to them when we had them. I remember eating them plain.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I don't actually put milk on my cereal at all. I don't dislike milk but I just don't think that it goes well with cereal for some reason. I do sometimes slice bananas but that's about it really. I've never liked raisins either. What other fruits are you adding to your cereal?

4. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just add milk to my cereal and have it that way, but sometimes I just eat it without anything, it's a great snack.
    My wife sometimes adds yogurt to her cereal instead of milk, it's very good but very different of course, I'm not sure whether she adds fruits when she does that, but her cereal already has fruit in it.

5. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I love cereal and milk. :) I'm not a big breakfast person so I normally don't have it then. I do love to have it at night for a snack! Sometimes with milk, sometimes without. I do need to add to it though. Normally I add bananas or some fruit to it. Especially if I'm having it as a meal or I would eat 5 bowls of plain cereal. :)

My kids like cereal but they would prefer to have it in a bowl dry. They like to munch on it in the morning when watching cartoons. :)

Danyel :)

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have cereal very often, but sometimes I will have a banana on the side. My husband likes to use protein drink instead of regular milk to get a little more out of his cereals, since he's more a fan than I am in general (of both cereal and protein drinks, lol).

7. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    My grandmother would often put banana slices over a bowl of Kellogs cornflakes and milk. I smiled reading this thread because it reminded me of her, so thank you! I rarely buy cereal but once in a great while I will make that. It is a great midnight snack to make if you can't sleep, that's what my grandmother would always do. You should try it.

Sometimes I will throw some frozen blueberries into Quaker instant oatmeal (maple brown sugar flavor) to make it more filling and flavorful.

8. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I like adding banana, blueberries, strawberries, or peaches to my cereal/granola, depending on what I have around. If I have no fruit I'll sub in some yogurt. Usually if I eat only cereal I'll get hungry in a couple of hours. I like to add fruits to my cereal for a little extra boost. I'm not a fan of oatmeal or toast so I stick to cereals and fruits.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't add much because I like to keep the cereal pure as much as possible. If I want the additional fruits and nuts I'd just buy one that already has it since I can be sure it goes well with that particular grain type. The most I add is sugar or honey if the cereal is plain, but even then I'd much rather just buy one already coated in honey instead of having to add my own.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have dry cereal, but I have cooked millet as a cereal in the morning. I add raisins and cinnamon to it to give it some flavor. I add other berries if I have them, but that's pretty rare for me. When I ate dry cereals, which I have not really done since I moved out of my parents home, I did not often put anything besides milk on it because I didn't even think about it.

11. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yogurt is actually a good suggestion, I used to do that with my kids and they loved it and I liked it too, but somehow I have forgotten that. Other fruit I like to add is strawberries, especially to corn flakes, yummy!

12. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I don't add fruit to my cereal and milk bowl. Some cereals are already fruity flavored, so I just had to add some milk and eat them for breakfast. When I'm not having cereal and milk for breakfast, I would add fruit to my bowl of oatmeal. For the oatmeal I can add almost any fruit I like, including orange slices, frozen strawberries, frozen bananas, and mango slices. So I do have fruits for breakfast, but not with the cereal.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Lately I haven't eaten cereals. I avoid do drink milk because it's bad for me and in the winter or cold time I eat it even less, so I am missing those warm summer days when I have a huge bowl of cereals with strawberries or bananas, still some months to wait until I do that again.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I often add milk to my cereals or oat meals. Adding fruits is a good option too. I've seen other people sprinkle nuts and raisins all over their cereal meals but I can hardly recall the taste. I like cereals when they're more milky. Adding fruits alter the taste, making your cereal sweeter if not more sour.

15. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. I do add other ingredients to my cereal. I usually eat hot cereals and I sometimes eat homemade granola cereal. Extra ingredients that I put in my cereals are banana, flax meal, groundnuts, mango, papaya, cranberries, raisins, cinnamon, and honey. I don't use all of these in one cereal, but the basis is usually flax meal for omega 3, a fresh fruit, a dried fruit, cinnamon, and honey

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I love granola, but not just any sort of granola, it has to be an extra-crunchy one because I don't like it soft. I never made it at home, but it's something I would love to learn. How do you do yours Serena? I am impressed with the amount of things you put in your cereals, all healthy though. :)

17. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    It's really quite easy to make. It's pretty cheap to make it here too. I started making my own because buying it bagged was just costing too much. I don't really do measurements. I just add what I think looks like a good amount for me. Here are the basics of what I do, but of course, adjust to your own liking. I take a big bowl and I add as much oatmeal as I want to. I then add flaxmeal, groundnuts, cranberries, raisins, and cinnamon. I add a small amount of coconut oil and mix everything together. Then, I add in honey and mix it all up again. I take a glass pan and pour the contents of the bowl into it. Place it in the oven and let it bake for about 20 minutes. I mix it a few times while it's baking to get an even amount of crunchiness. Then, I let it cool and enjoy it. It lasts for about a week in an airtight container.

I like to dress my cereal up. Haha. Plus, fruit is cheap here and I grow some of my own.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is a fact, when we buy it ready to eat it's really expensive, so great initiative from you let me tell you. :) Basically it's just honey and oven time eh? Pretty neat! To be honest I don't like coconut oil, do you think that will make a big difference?

19. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    I love cereal as a night time snack. That is usually when I eat it, since I rarely eat breakfast. With that being said, I generally have other cravings than breakfast when I eat my cereal. Sometimes I put peanut butter and jelly on the lip and dip a spoonful of cereal into the globs. I love adding vanilla ice cream to plain cereals like corn flakes, wheat brain or oat O's. I even used some left over pumpkin in a can and stirred it in after Thanksgiving. That wasn't as good on cereal, but it made the milk delicious. I might try that as a new flavor for a glass of milk in the future.

#19Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  20. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't remember the last time I even ate cereal; it's not something I would put in my body anymore. No judgy pants here! lol. How do you tell people you don't do something they do when asked without sounding like you think you're better than them?? lol. Anyway.. it's been many years.. even before I changed the way I eat, I just wasn't a fan. When I did eat it though, I added fruits sometimes.. mostly bananas, sometimes strawberries.. like that made it healthy or something lol. Speaking of something else.. have you seen the videos floating around about how to extract the metal shavings from your cereal? Mmm.. iron content, so healthy lol. I doubt they all have some in there, but I wouldn't be surprised.. they all have something in them people wouldn't dare eat on it's own.