Changing the mattress

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Jul 2, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have my mattress for about 15 years now and I am really comfortable with it, but the wife is wanting to buy a new one because she says ours is old... What does that mean old, why does old has to be bad?

How often are we suppose to change our mattress? Is there a real reason for that?

2. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely time for a new mattress for you, my friend! 15 years is a long time, in my opinion, for a mattress. I would say 10 years is the max. They say change it every 7 years, I believe? A new one will be so much better for your backs and shoulders, and will give you better support. Once you've slept on the same mattress for that long, it loses some of its firmness and the springs are worn. Time for a new one!

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had my posturepedic mattress for 8 years now and am deeply attached to it. :) I have kept it in excellent condition despite of moving houses and apartments several times during those years. I keep rotating it every three months, as suggested by the company that sold it to me, and it has been serving me really well. Even though I read that changing one's mattress every 10 years or so is a good idea, I would say only buy a new one if you are unhappy with the one you are sleeping on now.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Each time I think about changing my mattress I remember myself that my ancestors used to sleep on straw filled mattresses, so I should stop complaining :p Still, 15 years is a lot of time. I'm thinking that surely the mattress lost it's firmness/softness or other attributes. I'd say that changing it is a good idea even if a new mattress costs a pretty penny. If you'll use the new one for 15 years also, it'll be a good investment.

5. limitless1585

limitless1585Member

Threads:
    I have my mattress for about 18 years, and strings are coming out. We should definitely change the mattress sooner. I think that it's a good idea to change your mattress every 10 years to support your back. A piece of advice try the mattress before buying it, my parents bought mattress without trying it first and now they regret it.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Your wife probably just wants a new one. Nothing is wrong with old if it is still functioning as the new one though it doesn't appear that new anymore. I think the only reasonable time to change your mattress or any household stuff is when they already have become a headache and it's taking too much effort and money to have them repaired and maintained. So as long as you feel comfortable with your mattress, then it's not practical to have it replaced.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL yeah, women love to buy new stuff. The thing is the mattress is still very comfortable and I believe that the main issue is that it makes a lot of noise, but I think that what's causing the noise is that thing bellow the mattress (what's the name for that?) and I think that replacing that would be enough. A new quality mattress could cost nearly 400 or 500€, it's a huge expense...!

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The mattresses in every bed here in our house was last changed many years ago, I think it was around 1998 to be exact, and we still use them until now, although the cover of my mattress is tattered already, so I will just buy a new cover for it. I don't mind if the foam is starting to disintegrate, I intend to move out here anyway in the future.

So I notice that it's been a month since you posted this thread. What happened? Did you buy a new mattress or you chose to use the old one?

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Old is gold I always say, at times. If something isn't worn out, there's no necessity to replace it. However since marriage is a partnership, no matter how frugal you want to be, sometimes you need to give in to your spouse's demands so you don't etch "cheapskate" in her mind.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    So your mattresses are actually as old as mine, how do you feel about them, they are still good right?

After one month the talking has decreased, we haven't seen any mattresses yet so this means that it will last at least a few more months. I still think that the problem is not the mattress, but the piece that supports it, but try to convince a woman of that... :)

11. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the quality. Some mattress have warranties of 10-15 years so I assume that's how long it takes for them to wear out. I would ask your wife if there's a specific reason she wants a new one. Is it hurting or uncomfortable?

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I have ever stayed with one same mattress for that long. 15 years does sound like a lot, but I guess if you have a really good quality mattress, which is anti-allergic and has a case, shouldn't be a problem.

13. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Actually I believe that as long as the mattress is in good condition and nothing bad comes out of it, it should be alright to continue using it. I've had mine for twenty years now, the springs are still good and firm. My back's still fine and I have no trouble sleeping in it. Beds and pillows are the most personal things that we get attached to, if there's nothing wrong with it I don't see a reason to change. Who knows how long it will take for you to get used to the new one, sleepless nights are hard to live through.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yes, I think it's a good thing to change your mattress especially after that amount of time. If it is made with springs then chances are that some of those springs are already old or loose and you might not be getting the proper amount of back support. Also, you'd have to consider the germs and bed bugs and dust mites that might be living in the mattress.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    You are right about that Ripley, sometimes when I go to bed I have a hard time breathing so possibly are those dust mites living there. It's hard to know really because they are invisible and make such a big investment when I am sleeping fine sometimes doesn't make sense to me.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my case, they do not have springs, and I'm content with how they feel, our mattress is 4x36x75, so the foam is quite thick, so even if it disintegrates now on the middle part, it still feels firm. How about your mattress? Are they as thick as mine and do they have springs? Does it still feel firm?

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    It's still firm and I feel good sleeping on it, just it makes some noise when we are more active haha, but I don't think this is from the mattress itself, but from the bread structure. Either cases, we are now considering buying a new bed lol, negotiation is still happening because the bed is somewhat old and the drawers are falling apart.

18. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    15 years is a pretty long time for a mattress, even a good one, though to be honest, I was given a rather old mattress as a 3 year old and didn't get a new one till I was 18, so that mattress probably had 30+ years of use before it was tossed when a spring broke and poked right through. At 15 years a mattress will definitely show signs of wear, even if it is a very good one. If it's not flat anymore, and is sagging it may cause you some back issues, or it may be causing your wife back issues. There is really no need to get a top of he line mattress, just a middle of the road one from a company known for making mattresses that last will be a good investment.

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Actually I feel great with the mattress, I sleep like a baby and the real issue is the noise it makes, but I doubt that it's from the mattress, I think that it's from the bed itself. So either cases, after the vacation we haven't got money to buy anything lol, so I guess we are going to stick with it for a little while longer.