Charity Shops

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Bolt • Mar 30, 2013.

1. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you shop at charity shops? Do you give your clothes to charity shops?

I've found a few bargains in old vintage/charity shops. I wouldn't wear most of the stuff in there but you can find some real gems if you're lucky.

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always give my old clothing to charity shops I don't always shop at them but sometimes I do and I usually can get good prices I got some nikey shoes for my daughter that were almost new from a charity shop and only paid 4 bucks for them

3. Michael Brown

Michael BrownNew Member

Threads:
    Sometimes, you can also found some collectibles at charity shops, so yeah, its kinda interesting shop..

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any charity shops in my area. If I did I would definitely shop in them because you can find some great deals there. I do however have drop off bins in my area for donating clothing in other items to these types of shops. I do donate things periodically to these bins.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I tend to give more to charity shops than I buy, to be honest. I'm very particular, and I'll only donate to those causes I support. I'll buy things like books, but I don't often buy clothes, as they tend to charge over the odds. I'm all for helping good causes, but I'm not going to spend a fortune in the process. So yes, I buy from and donate to charity shops, but it's not straightforward by any means.

6. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I always give my clothes to charity shops. I think it is a waste to just throw old clothes out when a charity shop is really in need of some new items.
    I really like the whole process of giving and supporting these shops and I can't see myself ever stopping this routine.
    It also gives me a good feeling and makes me proud that I can still give and not take all the time.

7. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    Yes I do, especially when my kids were little. It is so hard to keep up with two growing boys. I have found some very cute clothes for the boys. And at very reasonable prices. Know I have my first granchild on the way. And I have been doing alot of shopping at the thrift stores. Going to the thrift stores for me is like a treasure hunt. It is so much fun. Because you never know what you might find. I have even found great books there. And various other fun items that you would not normally see. It is neat to see vintage items too. Like the other day I was shopping with my kids and we found old LP records there.

I do donate clothes to the thrift stores. And sometimes we have donated pieces of furniture.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I sure do. I love them. I donate my clothes there and I often find those 'gems' there to buy as well. My favorite actually runs with only volunteer staff as well, and any money that they make as 'profit' goes straight into funding their food pantry.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I do shop in charity thrift shops and I also give my old things to them. Over the years I have bought books, home decor items. glassware, jewelry, toys, a vintage handbag, and occasionally clothing. I rarely find clothing for myself at the thrift store, but a while back I bought my nieces a bunch of dresses to play in.

10. bargainhunter

bargainhunterMember

Threads:
    I do loads of my shopping in charity shops these days. Clothes like casual shirts and everyday jeans are a bargain for me compared to mid-range rubbish like Primark. Books I only ever buy from there and I've also found lots of vinyl records that I'm starting to buy again. Money goes to a good cause too so everybody is a winner!

11. delco

delcoMember

Threads:
    Constantly shop at these. Some of my favorite clothes I have found here, the trick is to just keep looking and keep coming back. Usually the good stuff is taken immediately, but if you know when to come after they restock the floor, you'll be the first out there.

And I donate to them at least once a year, whenever I pick up and move cities.

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never shopped at a charity shop. I just assumed that they were glorified thrift shops. I should probably check out a few charity shops because some people might donate their best stuff to a favorite charity shop. ;)

13. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I go into charity shops on a regular basis for books, DVDs and records. It is amazing what you can find in those places, I once bought a rare record in a shop for 50p and sold it on Ebay six months later for over $400. :)

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thrift shops are the same thing as charity shops. Goodwill and Salvation Army are charities.
    British people don't call them thrift shops, they call them charity shops.

I donate to thrift shops more often than I buy because I'm apartment hunting and don't want to have to move more stuff.