Cheap And Effective Way To Unclog Drains?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Jun 28, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Any hints on how to keep the drains and pipes of the the kitchen sink clog free? I've tried bleach and hot water, but still it sounds as if its not as clear as it should be. I may try soda crystals or white vinegar, but as this is the kitchen sink, it gets used constantly and I need something to work and fast, or maybe overnight?

2. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The kitchen sink is the one drain in this house that I have no issues with, thankfully. I've heard a combination of vinegar and baking soda can work to help unclog drains, but I usually get the cheap 'drano' type product at Kroger to use here. Here's a link to a method shared by Real Simple:

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I’ve also heard the baking soda/vinegar trick works quite well to unclog drains. I haven’t tried it myself, but I definitely will if I have any drain issues. Thanks for the link, Diane :)

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too would like to second the baking soda and vinegar idea. I'm surprised hot water didn't work. These days you can also get some reasonably priced drain unblocking solutions that you may have to leave to work overnight. Very effective. You may want to check your local Pound Stretcher or Home Bargains to get it on the cheap :) I hope you get it sorted!

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the vinegar and baking soda along with hot water to help keep the drain moving in the kitchen. I try to not use the Drano type products too often as they can eat thru your pipes also and cause a serious problem.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no harm in trying the baking soda idea, but I do think having a bottle of maybe Mr. Muscle in case it doesn't work is a good idea. I've tried most of these on my old flat, but as it was a shared drainpipe, it was always a little slow.

I'm hoping the soda crystals will work or make a difference at least. I'm not sure if it's a limescale issue as we have hard water in the area too.

UPDATE:
    After a little experimenting; malt vinegar warmed up for a few minutes (in the microwave) works if you pour it after the soda crystals. I also read you can use salt, so I used a mixture and then the pour a kettle of boiling water after an hour to flush it all.

I think it's a good idea to do this to prevent a build up as I have had to repeat the process a couple of times.

#6Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015
  7. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    This was an interesting thread to read as it is an issue I have recently in my house. I bought some expensive drain unblocker for the interior drains and had to get a drain company out for the exterior drains. The issue is still not resolved so I will have to keep an eye on this thread.

8. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Nobody's mentioned it, but have you tried using a toilet plunger to unclog the drain? I've had to do this in my bathroom sink when it started draining very slowly and it worked like a charm. After that, use some kind of combination or drain solution to keep the pipes clean.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never would have thought of using malt vinegar, but I have some that's getting old, so maybe I'll use that on my upstairs plumbing, since that's ALWAYS slow. There've been plumbing issues in this house for decades, apparently, so it could be the pipes corroding, or possibly the hard water issue that you mentioned, since we have that here, as well.

@ReadWriteLearnLove@ReadWriteLearnLove Haha, I assumed the plunger had already been tried, but you're right, it wasn't mentioned here, so maybe not. I have to do that occasionally here, too.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My own situation doesn't require a plunger, but it's a build up grease lining the pipes I think. I definitely think heating the vinegar does help, to dissolve away in my case the grease or oil that coats the pipes. It's actually my parent's place and they have never used anything for 20 years, so I have my work cut out!

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We use Drano for the bathroom drains. And it always works. The procedure is to leave the bathroom unused for at least 10 hours before applying the entire bottle of drano (500 ml). And after an hour, you flush it with water, slowly at first until the drain could accommodate. With the drain of the sink, we rarely encounter a clog.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How about putting one of those food catchers into your drain. I don't know the exact name for it. It's a simple thing, made of metal or plastic that you place over your drain to keep food particles from getting into the drain. It saves me a whole lot of trouble. I have a very solid one, that even catches coffee grains. My sink will fill up with water before anything gets down the drain that shouldn't be going down that way.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here there is a cheap product that can unclog drains, and it's quite popular, it's called "Liquid Sosa". You might want to check out if there's a similar product over there. It's corrosive though, and I would never have known that until I read this blog:

14. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    When I had just moved into my new home I found my basement sink had backed up. We called a plumber who had to snake the line for us. My husband then invested in a small hand held snake from Home Depot. This will keep your drains clear. Also the plumber told to boil the kettle and pour boiling water down each drain of the house once a week. This will keep the drains clear. I've done this for 15 years now and haven't had any trouble since.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with purplepen88 on the boiling water thing! I have never had a blocked drain, because this is what I do at least once a week....touch wood I don't jinx myself now LOL. I sometimes add a little bleach and liquid detergent and this keeps my drains clear!

16. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I pour a can of coke down the drain at least once every 3 months. Even if I have parties and there is some leftover soda, then I use that! It keeps them cleared out! I have a lot of hair and it just dissolves it all! I also like using really hot water for a drain that is clogged.

17. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    A plunger. Google how to properly use it.
    If that doesn't work you need a special tool called a snake.
    Honestly when you call a plumber he/she will NEVER use chemicals, they don't work all that well.
    Good old fashioned plunger and elbow grease is the best bet.

You probably don't want to hear this, but if your drains are that clogged then the problem is you are putting things down the drain that do not belong in the drain. Drains are not garbage disposals.

18. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo
    I use the DG drain opener from Dollar General. It works pretty good and fast for me when I use it on kitchen sinks, toliets and such. The best thing is it only cost like 2.00.

#18Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2015
  19. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I use one of those

on the drain if it appears to be slow. My shower drain is the worst because two of us have very long hair but I'm surprised at the amount of hair I find in the bathroom and kitchen sinks too. If the zip it doesn't help, I take off curved area of pipe below the sink. It's almost always the culprit and once I pull it off, it's pretty easy to clean out and reattach. I'm too impatient to wait for the products that need to sit for extended periods of time to work.

20. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    I've tried a few things. The cheapest option is definitely just pouring a can of coke down the drain once every few months. (That scares me a little, since something that's designed for drinking can clear drains!) The baking powder vinegar method also works well. Another way to unclog the drain is by purchasing a 'drain snake': a tool specifically designed to unblock drains. However this is a more expensive option, and it is easier and cheaper to use the coke or baking soda and vinegar.