Cheap Artists Canvas?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Eric John • Apr 16, 2012.

1. Eric John

Eric JohnNew Member

Threads:
    Does anyone know of any good places to buy Artists Canvas for cheap?

I don't have a lot of options in the city I live in and wondering if anyone has any good sources or cheap ways to get some quality artists canvas.

2. thiefraccoon

thiefraccoonNew Member

Threads:
    Do you have a michael's near you? I know they aren't known for cheap prices, but they often have great coupons. (I've recently used a 50% off one item coupon on a prismacolor color pencil set. Great deal!)

You can always make your own. Buy a large canvas sheet online, and make your own wood frames, cut off some canvas sheet, stretch the canvas over it and nail it down!

3. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I agree with Micheal's they often have promotions on their canvases, such as buy one get one free. I got 4 18x24 canvases for $12...and that was in Canada!

The dollarstore has some but they are really really small, and not really worth it. But if you want cheap, then it might work out for you to practice on!

4. Eric John

Eric JohnNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have been making my own canvas. I watched an online tutorial on making your own canvas. They suggested using painter's drop cloth and it actually worked pretty good. I made my canvas from scratch, right down to cutting my own frames and stapling the canvas, to gessoing, and painting. It was a little time consuming. Painter's drop cloth goes for about $7.99 for a 4'x15' sheet, so I was able to make almost 12 - 18"x24" canvas for super cheap. I don't have all the time in the World, so was just thinking about trying to find some cheap canvas. Thanks guys.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    If you do have a Michael's near you, Eric John has just posted a 40% off coupon for them under the "Hot Deals" thread on this forum. It is good until 4/21/12 so maybe you can take advantage of that deal. Here's the link:

6. mrsalphabet

mrsalphabetMember

Threads:
    You could also try Hobby Lobby online. I live close to the border so I have the option of doing Hobby Lobby in Port Huron or Michaels in Sarnia. I choose Hobby Lobby everytime. They always have fantastic sales and coupons. They do have an online store if you don't have one near you. HTH :)

7. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    My suggestion is to sign up to receive promotional mailings and email from your local craft stores, and stock up when they have a good sale. They sometimes offer 40-60% off!

8. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    JoAnna Fabric Shop has great deals all the time. Do you have one in your area. I always purchase most of my craft supplies from them. They have a lot of deals without a coupon. So try stopping by there to check them out. They have canvas and I always get it there.

9. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    Usually I get mine from Michaels. These can be pricey at times, but they are good brand and ones which works good for me. However, I am always on the look out for cheaper ones.

10. masteraljon

masteraljonMember

Threads:
    i also got my canvas at michaels, just wait for some good deals and coupons.

11. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I buy all my canvases from Michael's also. They have the best deals on art supplies, and I always go there for deals. I just bought some canvases about 2 months ago, and they're great quality for the price I paid.

12. askpreeti

askpreetiNew Member

Threads:
    If you have michaels near you go there and shop whatever you want because they always have best deals on arts and crafts products :)

13. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    Check out your local Michaels store. They have packs of artists canvases in several sizes for their generic brand. Oh and sign up for their newsletter and they'll automatically email you a 40% off anything not on sale coupon after signing up.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My local Walmart has bundles of artist's canvases, like a 10 pack of 8X10 stretched canvases, or an 8 pack of 11X17 canvases. They have a few sizes. It's just a shrink wrapped stack of canvases. I remember one bundle was $15 and one bundle is $17. You should check the craft section of Walmart for stretched canvases.

15. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I paint, and most of the time I go to my local craft store to purchase my canvases. There are many good comments on this post. I did not know that Walmart sold canvases that cheap. Must check that out. Thank you very much.

16. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Ollies, I believe they might have a website also. I recently bought 8 canvas of different sizes for a total of $22.00. I have bought them before here and they are pretty good. They don't carry them all time, so when I run across them I snag a few up. The larger life portrait sizes are alittle more, about 10 bucks each. Which if you have bought canvass before, you know what a deal this is.