Cheap DIY Drawer Organizer From Cereal Boxes

Discussion in Home & Garden started by ACSAPA • Mar 26, 2013.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi guys. I was looking at a household hints website and saw this cool drawer organizer made from cereal boxes. It's not the fanciest thing in the world but it's an organizing solution that costs almost nothing and uses boxes you would toss out anyway. I think it's pretty clever.

Screen-Shot-2012-07-20-at-12.48.27-PM.

2. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    It seems to be a nice idea to not have so much clutter. I have actually been using canisters for some of mine to keep from having so many boxes of cereal everywhere and it also works pretty good. Keeps things looking a little more organized and not so cluttered at least. Thanks for the share, that is something I might consider buying!

3. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Amazing, i like it. It's always easy to keep my desk tidy, except for the drawer. Now it becomes easy to organize my messy drawer. Thanks for share!

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Nice share! I have been trying to come up with some kind of method to organize my kitchen utensil drawer. It has quite a variety of tools in a lot of different sizes and shapes. I think your cereal box organizer would do just the trick. I do like how they wrapped the boxes with decorative paper, you really couldn't tell that it was made from cereal boxes at all! Thanks for the post.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    This is very nice and most importantly it is very affordable.
    I also love this idea because it encourages us to make something with our own hands and it will end up saving us a lot of money. I personally like having items in the house that I could tell people that I made myself because it makes me feel really good at the end of the day. I think I will take this idea and create some of these to store my arts and crafts. I have so many brushes and colored pencils and markers to be organized and sorted.
    Thanks for sharing this idea. I will definitely be taking advantage of it!

6. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    That is really cool! I love the colors in that example! A great way to re-use and reduce. This would be great to do with kids.

7. celinadesuza

celinadesuzaNew Member

Threads:
    It's very nice collection I like it. And for this I appreciate your post.

8. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    @ ACSAPA, now that is what I need. My desk is cluttered and I need some kind of a storage unit to get things organized. I have been meaning to do this for days.. but now that link gives me ideas for my own personal desk organizer. Thanks for the share.

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    This is such a great idea! The only problem for me is that I don't have cereal boxes :-( I would have to ask other people to save boxes for me and then hope they wouldn't forget, wait to collect, and then remember to do this, lol! I did something similar though with just using little plastic baskets in a drawer.

10. Michael Brown

Michael BrownNew Member

Threads:
    Cool idea. Now I know what to do with those boxes. Thanks for the tips.

11. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    Looks good, I always find cereal box card so flimsy though to do anything with. I do not have very much crafting skill so I am pretty sure if I attempted this it would end is disaster!

12. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    Oh how cool. I have been doing some decluttering and was thinking about purchasing some drawer organizers. So maybe I will try this and see how it works.

13. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I do that, too. Not with cereal boxes, though, because nobody eats cereal from boxes in my house. I also have a lot of empty potato chip cans. They are made of aluminum and they have air-tight plastic covers. They make very useful containers for all kinds of things.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can also use powdered detergent boxes or powdered milk boxes. Someone mentioned cereal boxes being flimsy,
    but these are reinforced with duct tape and it's only going in your desk drawer so it doesn't have to be bulletproof.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Here's another idea in the same vein. The basic idea is to take sturdy boxes that work well but look tacky and make them look cuter with duct tape.

DuctTapeboxes-2.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Okay guys, one more. This is a DIY desk organizer made with a cereal box, toilet paper rolls and Mod Podge.
    Not bad for items that are basically free and would be thrown out anyway.

[​IMG]

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You mean Pringles chip cans? People who are into gift wrapping like I am, can turn Pringles cans into a gift wrap stand.
    I always have some stray gift wrap rolls lying around, so I'll probably make this.

[​IMG]

Instructions:

* Clean all cans from the inside (you don't want your gift wraps to be all stainy and smelly)
    * Spray paint two coats of paint in any color you wish, let dry thoroughly
    * Pin the cans with paper clips and mark the spots where they meet
    * with a hot glue gun, glue the cans together just at both ends of the cans

...and, you're done

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a good idea. Those are large cereal boxes by the way. As for me I think I would just use those large shoe boxes lying around the house as storage containers. As of now I have used one of them to store the letters I got the whole time that I was in school.