Cheap Fruits And Vegetables For Juicing

Discussion in Food & Drink started by rollybooz • Sep 23, 2015.

1. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Most supermarkets now often have a section selling either quick-sale fruits and vegetables that are either distorted in appearances, a tad too ripe/soft or have superficial blemishes on their skins. While most are repelled from buying these to eat on their own, I find that I save quite a bit if I am planning to make juices with them since appearances are no longer a major factor. In fact, since these fruits are often riper, they make for a sweeter and more flavourful fruit juice! Vegetables are often in this section because their are odd in appearance, such as conjoined carrots, or carrots with cracks in them etc. These fruits and vegetables often have the same nutritional values as their 'beautiful' normal counterparts and taste just as great.

Does anyone buy these reduced fruits and vegetables too? What do you do with them if you're also uncomfortable eating them on their own?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most supermarkets here have that fruits in the styrofoam. Those are the fruits that may be spoiled in a day or two so the fruit stand attendant would peel and slice the fruit before placing on a styrofoam tray and covered with cellophane so the shoppers would see the sliced fruits. Those fruits in the styrofoam are good for juicing since they are very ripe already.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That's one of the main reasons I stopped using my juicer shortly after buying it - it was costing me an arm and a leg to keep buying bags of fruits and vegetables to put in it. I suppose if I were growing my own stuff it wouldn't be so bad, but you need like several oranges just to make one tall glass of juice - cost wise it just wasn't worth it. Not to mention all the hassle of cleaning the machine up afterwards.

The only real time I buy blemished overly ripe fruit would be with bananas. But everything else, such as strawberries, raspberries and other stuff, I am worried about them becoming moldy right away and having to toss them before I can eat them.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Totally agree rollybooz - that as the nutritional value of fruit and vegetables, regardless of their shape, isn't comprised if they are slightly bruised or even slightly overripe - buying oddly shaped or slightly blemished/bruised produce when its on sale - is definitely the way to go - as not only is it a great way of saving money - but also an excellent way of providing healthy nutritious meals at a fraction of what it would normally cost.

As I grow all my own produce I obviously don't do this - however as I never like to let anything go to waste and always put my excess to good use - as there are an abundance of ways in which to put this produce to good use - there really is no reason not to take advantage of these offers when you see them - particularly as - apart from freezing as they are for later use - they are ideal for turning into

Juices, smoothies, ice pops, sorbets, granitas or jams
    Sauces or salsas
    Bases for desserts, casseroles, soups
    Salad dressings or fruit salads
    Fruit or vegetable breads, muffins etc
    all of which can be frozen and eaten at a later date
    or
    if feeling a little adventurous you could always dry or can them or even make wine - either way whatever way you choose to use them - they will definitely save money in the long run.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only have a citrus juicer, not one for juicing vegetables, and I don't juice much, but I'm glad you started this thread, because I'd forgotten about this. We used to shop at a fruit and vegetable stand back home that had a rather large section for this purpose, and I haven't seen this at the stores where I shop these days. I wonder if it's more prevalent at the farmer's market type shops than major grocery chains, at least where I live. This is definitely a good way to save some money, and prevent, or at least cut down on waste at the same time.

6. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have a juicer as well which I don't use much. It was getting expensive buying the fruits and vegetables to juice and it seemed like you'd only get a glass or two after all that hard work. It was great in the fall we would large bags of carrots and apples as they are cheap at that time of year and make a carrot apple mix but if you wanted to other fruits it was too expensive. I've never thought of buying the fruits and veggies all wrapped up for quick sale for juicing. Thanks for the great idea. I might just bring out the juicer again.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh that is a really good idea!! I never thought of that. That is what most major manufacturers of juice products do in the first place. They use fruits that are bruised, misshapen or over ripe to make juice products. It makes sense you could get that discount produce from the store and do the same thing. In fact, I think they would make excellent products for juicing.

8. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it does take a bit of effort to juice your produce and worse still, as what many of you have mentioned, you get only a small glass even after using a few whole fruits. It also does not help to have to clean up the mess of the filtered fruit pulp and fibers!

What I do nowadays is with softer fruits, instead of using a juicer, I use a blender. The whole fruit goes in, just chop up harder fruits such as apples into smaller bits, and blitz. You'll end up with a thick beverage, similar to a smoothie, just that this is 100% homemade and you know there are no extra preservatives or flavourings in there! Some may not like how it's so thick, so adding a bit of water may help, or if you're mixing fruits, be sure to mix those with high water content with those which are dryer. These drinks are full of nutrition and also keep your tummy satisfied. The good thing also is that there is much less mess to clean up!

9. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    There is nothing wrong with a fruit or vegetable that has a slight bruise to it. I just want to make sure what it is I'm buying doesn't have mold on them. Buying brown bananas is good for making banana bread. I remember watching a family on TV that ate meat raw/spoiled. When they were introduced to fully cooked meat for some reason their bodies didn't take it too well and they became sick. I know most people don't eat like that but the most important thing is if the food OK to eat despite appearances.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like buying from this section as long as the fruit isn't overripe. Unusable you could find just a few imperfections and those ones I tend to buy up, but if the fruit was nearly overripe I'd pass just because I don't want to be rushed to eat it or use it in a shake when I don't feel like it just so I could feel like my money didn't go to waste, but if I forced myself to use the ingredient before I was ready to then I would consider that a waste since my experience would have been compromised just so I could save a few cents, so in situations like these I'd much rather just get the regular types instead.

11. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think I have ever seen a section like this in any of the grocery stores in my area. I have never even heard of this. I will definitely look for it or ask one of the employees the next time I visit. I do not juice, but I do enjoy drinking smoothies.

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like buy a huge bag of oranges and juice them for breakfast. They taste so much better than the orange juice that is on the shelf. That way I know what is in my juice instead of some creepy additives.

13. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I were on my own, I wouldn't mind getting some of those, as long as they were not too bad, and were not on the verge of spoiling. However, my husband is a self confessed fruit and veg snob and won't touch bruised produce. He refuses to even cut around it and use the good part. It really frustrates me. I wonder what he'd be like if we were stinking rich LOL

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @Lushlala@Lushlala, my OH is exactly the same! Even if it's just a tiny bruise on an apple, he'll throw the whole thing in the bin. Grr, it really annoys me! When it's my turn to cook, I admit I take great pleasure in using the bruised items and not saying a word about it ; )

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe @missbishi your post made me giggle! Same here, in defiance, I love nothing more than using up all those 'rejects' that my husband would simply throw away. I never see him complaining about the quality of my food, even going for seconds. He'd probably even go for thirds if I didn't stop him. Luckily for me, he doesn't cook, so I can salvage the produce before he gets his hands on them. I mean, what are these men like?! It drives me up the wall!

16. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    It is a lot cheaper to buy the loose leaves or bunches of greens such as kale, as opposed to the packages of it. I personally buy a big thing of spinach at Costco. I also use frozen fruit because that is much cheaper than using regular fruit (depending on the season). I like using the frozen pineapple because it makes the smoothie sweet.

I also found that apples counter the taste of spinach making the smoothie sweet.

They also are one of the cheaper fruits!