Cheap fun with tabletop games

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by missbee23 • Dec 2, 2014.

1. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    So I recently discovered the treasure trove of tabletop games out there. I am always looking for a good game to play so that when we have family or friends come to visit, we have something fun to do. But Scrabble and Monopoly get tiring and boring, and no one wants to play after a while.

A few times a year, we go to the board game isle of Target or even Toys R Us just to see if there is anything new. A few that I found are Ticket to Ride, and Settlers of Catan. If your family likes board games, these are great. If you have someone who is not a big fan of board games, then these are good for getting them excited to play games.

You might pay more than you would for a scrabble game, but these games are worth the investment.

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been having this very dilemma, trying to find new games to play during family outings. So, thanks for the recommendations. Card games are also a lot of fun and they are definitely affordable, usually around $10 or less. Uno, Scrabble Slam, Skipbo, etc. are good options as well. There are also a lot more games out there to play with a regular deck of playing cards than I thought there were.

3. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for this because have some friends that are coming over for the weekend and I have been thinking about what games that we could all play and really enjoy I think that if you can sit down and just play some Google games with your friends then you will have a good time so I think that right now I will be heading down to the store to see if I could pick up these games so that we could have some fun this weekend.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another option is to look around online for lists of card games to play with a regular deck of cards. Some of the lists are very nice, complete with rules, and offer a printable version. I don't think it can get much cheaper than a deck of cards and a list, and it would provide hours of fun. I'm even thinking of buying some decks of cards and making nice printouts of various games to include with them, so I can make up little packs to use as stocking stuffers.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love board games but admittedly I've been forgetting about them more and more each year. I have downloaded a few board game apps of the games I used to play and I think that's how I would prefer to play them nowadays if ever I did decide to get on hyphen once again because they are a lot less messy than actual board games which you'd have to rearrange after each session. With apps on tablets I could simply just turn it off after I'm done and it's much easier to reset as well.

6. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    I love board games. I think it's great that families get together for one night of not being on their phones, and just enjoy each others company and competition. If you're looking for simple and cheap tabletop games, you're probably going to be restricted to card or dice games. I suggest you have a look around review websites or your local gaming store and check out what you like. I managed to get Settlers of Catan on a discount, and it was worth every penny.

7. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I played some more unique card games like Monopoly Deal and Bang! Someday I will probably try playing Cards Against Humanity with mature friends, apparently many people have been raving about it but I've yet to try the game for myself. Tabletop games are always great fun at parties or barbecues with many people!

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Although I haven't played board games for awhile now, but the game I most like now is playing "Risk." It's challenging but easy to play, and a usual game may take up to two hours or more, depending upon the amount of players involved. The Settlers of Catan is a good game to play too, but I've only played it twice with a friend before - I may plan to get it in the near future. Scrabble is good game to play, especially when people attempt to make up words that aren't words, but attempt to convince people it's true - never works against me!