Cheap Gadgets Versus Quality

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Corzhens • Mar 10, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is a given when an item is cheap that the quality suffers. With electronics, we sometimes gamble because like the keyboard which is only $5 that comes with a wireless mouse. By the way, the keyboard is also wireless so it is comparable to the standard which costs double. It's working out well for almost a year now and maybe if we can use it for another year then the cost is worth it.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Price isn't always the accurate way to gauge the quality of a product. iPhones and many Samsung devices for example are overpriced. Someone can find a phone that's as good as an iPhone or Samsung at a lower price. When buying gagdets I always prefer to buy the slightly cheaper ones made by companies which consistently make high quality products.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of people figure that brand names are known quantities. If someone wants a new gadget or device and doesn't have a lot of time to do research into different items, how they differ from what the person's used to using, etc., they often stick to what they're used to. Also, sometimes people will have accessories that go with that particular brand and want to stay consistent, so as to not have issues arise. Other people are into status, and like the attention and admiration they get from a particular segment by having and using brand name products, clothing, etc.

I will sometimes take a chance on small items, but if I'm going to be spending a chunk of money, I do my due diligence ahead of time and at least read some reviews by people who know what they're talking about. I have bought off brand mouses in the past, as well as keyboards. I purchased my tablet case (as I have in the past with others) based on style and design. I didn't pay attention at all to brand, and was surprised to find that it was actually a good brand name, not some generic that I'd never heard of. It didn't matter to me, but I was even happier than I got a better deal than I'd realized, because if I'd searched for that brand, I'd probably have paid more elsewhere.

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well in my case, I can ill afford to buy name brand items unless it is something like an Amazon Kindle I usually buy little known brand names unless it is something that is used or something. My two computers are name brand because I did not buy them someone else bought them and gave them to me. I would agree things like iphones, and ipads are overpriced. I mean they might be quality devices but I think you can get something just as good made by a different maker.

5. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    First of all, almost everything that people use is really manufactured for under $200. From the clothes you wear to the phone that you love, everything is manufactured as cheapely as possible. So, price is not the correct reflection of quality.

However, when it comes to gadgets, I have observed that the kind of material that companies use tells me way more than price about how good of a product it is or how long its going to last. Some phones simply feel cheap, use cheap plastics, and are bad. I mean there are certain Samsung phones that I wouldn't touch with a stick. Some phones feel great because they use better quality materials. Again, there are certain Samsung phones and all of Apple phones (other than 5c - what a crappy product) that actually make you feel like they're worth the money that the manufacturer is asking for.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think a good mix of both is a good method because some gadgets you don't really need to get the most quality out of it especially if it's something you will only use rarely. I also have bought a cheap keyboard but I soon figured out that it was not that comfortable to use and for something I will be using daily I thought I would much rather splurge on it and get a good quality one instead. I also bought a wireless portable keyboard for very cheap and for that I'm not too bothered since I only use it once in a while and I won't type for long periods of time on a tv anyway.

7. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    You have to have a discerning eye because price can be deceptive. There is no rule cast in stone with respect to this variable. Take the example of mobile phone batteries. Some shops sell a presumaby original version and a counterfeit one. Both look identical but have a significant price variance. But in reality, they are all counterfeits. An original secondhand battery would be cheaper and value for money in this case.

8. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Oh yeah, you have to be careful that you don't buy a knock off. There are some really professional counterfieters out there and they create stuff that looks original. You may have heard about knocked off iPhones, but those are not the only ones. The internet is filled with cheap knockoffs of highend products and some people actually sell them off as "real".