cheap moving tips

Discussion in Home & Garden started by roy835 • Oct 11, 2014.

1. roy835

roy835Member

Threads:
    As we know, moving can be a very big job and very expensive too. One way to cut back on the expenses when moving is to utilize used boxes and plastic bags instead of those brand new expensive new boxes. When some people are moving they may go to UHaul or somewhere like that and pay high prices for new boxes to put the stuff in. Well, you can get many of those same types of boxes for little or nothing. Just go around to a few of your neighborhood stores and you can oftentimes find lots of used boxes sitting by the dumpster. You many have to ask the store manager first before taking the boxes but many times when you ask they will oblige. And then instead of using boxes for everything, sometimes use large plastic bags like the ones that you would put leaves in that you rake up in the fall. Do it like that and you can save significant money in your next relocation move.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    We have also used some of the methods you described. Also, we have found that you can keep your clothes in the drawers, even if you remove the drawers to make the piece of furniture lighter when you move. Or you can put them in suitcases. Another thing we do is use our clothes or towels to wrap up plates, that way you don't have to waste money on newspaper or magazines. I have used paper towels in the past and that way when we unpack, I have a lot of paper towels to clean with in my new place. We have hired movers but find it more fun and cheaper to ask friends to help and then provide them with a good meal. I take lots of pictures and then the entire moving day becomes a happy memory with friends instead of something burdensome.