Cheap Plane Tickets

Discussion in Travel started by Blossom • Aug 4, 2012.

1. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    I have only been on a plane once, but sometimes my friends tell me they find $10 and $20 tickets at certain times. Why are tickets so cheap at times, but so expensive at other times? I'm trying to plan a trip and need to know how to find those cheap tickets. I know the price increases the closer it is to the date, but sometimes my friends have purchased those tickets only 2 weeks in advance.

2. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, those tickets prices are great. I travel internationally almost every 6 weeks and I purchase my tickets either through cheaptickets.com, expedia.com, or delta.com. I notice when I search for tickets between 1:30am-4:30am EST the cost is very affordable. Also, sometimes I buy my plane ticket at the airport before I check in, the only problem when doing this is that the flight may already be full.

3. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, $10 and $20 dollars?? When you find out their secret, let me know :p
    Surprisingly, the day you buy the tickets sometimes matters. A friend of mine works for an airline and says that Tuesdays are generally the best days to find a ticket for the lowest price. She has no idea why but said it's typically that day. I guess it depends on the season too and when people go on vacation the most.

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have purchased plane tickets through CheapTickets, but I have never seen ticket prices that low. I would love to find plane tickets that low!

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Where are they flying to at those prices? It must be local flights? You can often find, as others pointed out...awesome deals on cheaptickets.com and expedia.com...as far as I know. Also, you can join the expedia newsletter as they have as much as 75% off sometimes to certain local places. Also, you could join Groupon travel...one can score there too, I have seen.

I have not thought of the 'time factor' though so I must thank those on the thread who mentioned that...so cool, as I am in the process of looking for an international flight right now as I type this.

6. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    Has anyone ever used Midwest Airlines? I found their tickets much lower than other tickets. A few years ago myself, hubby and kids went to San Diego from Chicago and their tickets were about $120.00 less than American, United and Delta. Another cheap airline I think is US Air. I think it depends on where you are going and what Airport you are flying out of. Those tickets you are talking about are probably a new airline. I have never heard of tickets that cheap. But I am sure they are out their.

7. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I wonder where they are flying to. I have seen this advertised, but I have never actually seen these prices. I always thought it was just a sales gimmick. One of my children works for the airlines and I travel for free whenever I want, but even I have to pay a $25 fuel fee when I travel.

8. Kaila

KailaNew Member

Threads:
    It really depends what part of the world you're flying in/to. For example, in Europe, it's possible to get an Easy Jet or Ryan Air flight for $0, and all you pay is the taxes, which comes to about $20-$30. That'll get you from London to Paris, Paris to Italy, that kind of thing. In Asia, there's an airline called AirAsia that does similar sales, which allows you to get from Bangkok to Bali for about $20 or less. The best way to get deals like these is to subscribe to the company's updates - through their newsletter, their twitter account, etc. That way, you'll be among the first to know when they're having a sale. You should try to be among the first on the site to make sure you can get a seat - often when there's really good sales, all the seats sell out within the first hour or so!

9. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    I understand that flights from point A to point B in foreign countries can cost as low as $10.00 just because they have empty seats. Some people go with the generic recommendations which include booking your flight 3 weeks in advance, etc, but you won't find $10.00 flights if you follow those rules. Honestly, you will not get a flight that cheap in the U.S. if you are flying a great distance, so don't get your hopes up. One of the most risky ways to get a cheaper than average airline ticket is to try to get on a stand-by list. You basically are waiting until the last minute to see if the air carrier has empty seats they'll sell for pennies on the dollar. it's a high-risk, high-reward strategy. It's also so stressful that you'd be better off just buying your ticket and forgetting about the money once it's gone, if you can't handle stress well.

10. niceness8000

niceness8000Active Member

Threads:
    Good info, kaila!