Cheap Relaxation

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Zyni • Nov 17, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What kinds of inexpensive things do you do when you need some down time? Take a bath, read a book, go for a walk? Even sitting outside with a nice cup of coffee or tea can work, sometimes. What are some other great, affordable activities for unwinding?

When you just want some time to rejuvenate, what is your go-to thing when you don't have much (or any) money to spend?

2. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    The inexpensive ideas you have listed so far are great ways to unwind. I enjoy unwinding by taking a walk. Sometimes it helps to call and chat with a family member or friend, to simply get my mind off of my day and on to something else. When I have really had a tough day, I enjoy comfort food (macaroni and cheese or cookies) and Netflix on the couch!

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I relax with hot bath and I have a nice face mask too as that always relaxes me. I also make my favorite comfort food to eat while watching some re-runs of a comedy series, or movie that is an old favorite. The important thing is not to answer the phone, door, or to email. Having space is the important thing and not getting disturbed.

4. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As relaxation for me is as simple as doing something different but enjoyable - I have so many different ways of doing that its hard to think of them all - especially as I have loads of inexpensive hobbies and not enough free time to do them all - but generally spending some time - hand-painting motifs onto pots and glass, making mosaics, gardening, hiking in the mountains with my camera and taking loads of photos or hopping on my mountain bike and going for a cross country ride for a couple of hours and if the weather is particularly severe or I'm feeling exceptionally tired - listening to music, reading a book, watching a good movie, knitting or doing embroidery in front of the fire - usually does the trick.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's quite a list. I do like making stuff as well, so some type of arts and crafts project or a smaller DIY project often works for me as well. It keeps my mind and my energy focused on what I'm crafting instead of on other things. It's a good way to shake off the day, sometimes.

When I'm just tired, I like to take a nice soak in the tub with a glass of wine and maybe a book. A face mask sounds like a good addition.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sleeping is my favorite way of relaxation. It's free and good for our health too. When I'm in a bad mood I just sleep, and when I wake up I feel better and rejuvenated.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    When my family is on a budget we usually just go out biking or stay in and play video games and watch movies, most of the time it is the latter as much as I hate to admit it because it's gotten so hot here recently that it's just way too uncomfortable to stay outdoors. Staying in is great though since we could just get food delivered or even better we could just spend a bit on groceries and make food at home Instead which is even cheaper. Sometimes we will go out to eat at a cheap restaurant just to bond a little and enjoy each other's company.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I step outside to my little backyard of my apt. close the door and drink my coffee. I watch the birds of the neighborhood fly by from my backyard and just unwind. I watch my favorite tv shows and just zoom out the day and everything else. Watching anime does that where I just shut the world out and watch anime for a few hours. other tv shows that I zoom out of the world is when I watch Dead Files & The Haunting of... I read a book to relax and forget the world for a while too. All free to do and done in home, so it's just a step away from the world to unwind and relax inexpensively. :D

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My cheap go to way to relax is reading my Kindle in bed. It works every time, as it also eases me into a long and restful sleep LOL While my husband watches something on TV, I'm getting my teeth into a good read on my Kindle. If I want to really spoil myself, I slap on a nice home made mask, give myself a manicure then have a long, warm shower before slipping between my sheets with my Kindle. Sounds boring, but this to me is sheer, decedent relaxation; I LOVE it :)

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pardon me for bragging and I know that some would be envious of my luxurious life. At night by bedtime, our housemaid would give me a foot massage for about 20 minutes to 30 minutes. She would knead on my sole and press on my toes. That massage never fails to relieve my stress and before she could finish her task, my eyes would be drooping. That's one big difference in living in the Philippines against living in America - we can afford a housemaid here.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You got that right! I'm very jealous. :) I'd be envious of having a house maid even if she didn't give massages. I'd actually have more to relax, if that were the case. That is definitely a luxury in my book.

A good massage is certainly a great way to relax though. My husband and I usually just trade neck rubs. It works, and it's free. Free is always good, right? :p

12. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Taking a bath is the most effective way, Because you're physically affecting the muscles. I find that I can't sleep sometimes in winter without an evening bath before hand. It's been proven to help sleep as the cooling of the body triggers melatonin release. I can't think of much else, but want to try a few more things.

13. lookatalthea

lookataltheaMember

Threads:
    Unwinding on a budget is one of my favorite things to do! I love to take a hot shower, or a bath with Epsom salt. I like cleaning sometimes too. If I have enough energy, cleaning my whole apartment is such a relief once it's done, or doing dishes while listening to music.
    I also love meditation if the house is empty, just sitting and focusing on my breath. Online yoga is great too. I have never paid for a class because they're so expensive, but there are endless yoga videos on YouTube that you can choose to fit your own needs.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My absolute favourite way to relax is to go for a hike and sit by the water. Both keep me grounded and wipe away any stresses that may have been building. Lately there have been quite a few.. I feel the world is so heavily racist these days, what with the election here in Canada, and ISIS etc. It's weighing on me and the trees are calling me, but I'm currently pretty far from any decent trails. So while I feel surrounded by negativity at the moment, I'm hoping to take a drive in the coming weeks to a good trail I used to go to and hopefully nature will pull me back down and clarify some things for me. Aside from hiking, usually sitting outside in the sun with my morning coffee, but it's far too cold for that now. I also find learning extremely relaxing, so for the most part, that's what I'm doing.

15. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    I can think of a lot of things but most common inexpensive ways I do to relax are: nature tripping, drinking coffee with our backyard garden view, or going to a nearby beach. It's fortunate that I am at close proximity to these places and I am able to enjoy the outside. When I was living in the city awhile back, it was so hard to have relaxation activities without having to spend a hefty amount of money. I'm glad I've moved to the country side and it is a nice place to unwind.

16. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Jogging is considered a necessary exercise by many. Nonetheless, it's also a great way to unwind. In addition, working out with weights and machines is a good way to unwind. Finally, a hard played game of basketball or soccer also has the same effect.

Oh, by the way, lifting weights can sometimes cost some money, but jogging and sports are usually free, minus the gas money to go to your favorite spot. Also, of course, lifting weights at home might be cheaper, because you only have to buy the equipment.

#16Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  17. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My major relaxation is watching my favorite shows on tv. I am fond of mixed martial arts and I'm glad that our cable provider has several sports channel. Especially after dinner hours, it is nice to sit in our bedroom and watch the fights on our 40-inch tv. And on nights where there are no fights, I read Archie comics to while away the time until the bedtime hour.

18. Jessica Vibes

Jessica VibesNew Member

Threads:
    There's nothing more relaxing than switching off the lights, getting comfortable on your easy chair, and putting on some relaxing instrumental scores. Close your eyes and just let it settle in. For me, silence is the best way to unwind.

19. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Reading a good novel is what I find relaxing.
    Being a member of a local library, I've free access to books. So, whenever I find time, borrow a book which helps me to unwind. The only problem is, I remain glued to the book till the time could finish it. This sometime hampers my regular schedule.

20. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    The cheapest way I can do for relaxation without spending a penny is to listen to my collection of favorite oldies music or to read a some verses from the Bible. What I do most is sing along or do some karaoke songs of my favorite. However, out of so many ways I could do which I believe is the greatest relaxation I could ever do for it is a wholesome thing is to do some bonding activities with my 6 grandchildren. We play ball. We do some parlor games to challenge their skills or we spend a time together strolling at the public plaza or gather them in a circle and sing for them while playing or strumming a guitar.