Cheap sofas?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by SEA81 • Sep 18, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Does anyone know where I can get inexpensive sofas or living room furniture? All throughout my adult life, I've been given hand-me-downs from family members when it comes to my living room, and I end up wearing it out and getting rid of it when I move. Well, now I've exhausted all of my family members, and I need something new. Where's a good place to go?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Walmart.com and IKEA have cheap futons, sofas and other living room furniture.
    If you need something cheaper than $200, you'll have to try Goodwill or garage sales.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I like getting them from Goodwill and garage sales, too.

Oh, and Craigslist. You can usually see pictures and then just go pick it up. It's usually still a lot cheaper than buying new, too.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure what your price range is but you may want to consider a futon or a click clack sofa. You may be able to find those brand new for under $200. If you can go a little higher in price, you will probably be able to find something a bit nicer at Walmart or Target. If you are okay with used furniture, then thrift stores, garage sales or Craigslist are going to be your best bet. You might be able to find a really good quality sofa for a great price.

5. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I like to go to the discount furniture shops in my town. You can also try Craigslist or IKEA or Bob's Furniture too. That all have decent prices.

6. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:

You can get great name brand furniture, super cheap at Big Lots! You will be surprised what nice pieces you can find there. I know what you mean. SOmetimes you just want a sofa that no one else has sat on yet. I furnished a 1 bedroom condo, for less than $2000.

#6Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  7. Brook

BrookMember

Threads:
    I was going to say Big Lots, too! I think they sell fairly decent stuff there. I would be careful buying upholstered furniture at garage sales and thrift stores due to the bed bug problem going on now. Once you get those nasty critters in your house they are nearly impossible to get rid of!

8. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I think Big Lots is the best place for furniture. Even if I had big money, it just makes sense to get this name brand furniture for so much less. The only other option that is still more expensive is going to the scratch and dent at regular furniture stores. My mother was a designer, and always said that furniture stores always mark the furniture up like 1000%.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those Big Lots sofas in the link are very nice and I'm definitely impressed. It's too bad the location near me closed 2 years ago. I love a good bargain. I'm surprised there wasn't enough business in my area to keep the Big Lots open.

10. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    It depends where you live. We have a Rooms-To-Go outlet near me that sells all the leftover furniture from the area at huge discounts. My mom and dad got an amazing couch for like $200 because it was the floor model and had a tiny scratch on the leg. It is definitely your best bet.

11. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know where you live, but my fiancee and I purchased a nice two-seater at The Brick for only $110. It's in good condition and comfortable. The Brick is great when they have those tent sales because you can get chairs, sofas, beds, etc. for half the price. Ikea is also all right, but I wouldn't buy from them ever again!

12. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I really like Living Spaces and Ikea for cheap furniture. Living Spaces has great zero interest deals and sometimes throws in extra furniture. Check out Ikea online for exclusive pieces as well.

13. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    If you're on a really tight budget, I would strongly suggest you stop by IKEA. They have an awesome range of models and designs to choose from. Most of the pieces they have are rather modern, contemporary and the prices aren't that steep. Don't worry about having to build the sofa up yourself since most of them are factory assembled especially when most of them are fabric or leather ones. They are rather sturdy and should last you for a while so do drop by if you need some choices!

14. kartik

kartikNew Member

Threads:
    sofas .

Where we believe wholeheartedly in shopping for sofas the easy way. We aim to become the UK’s No 1 sofas comparison website, becoming a one stop shop for anyone who wants to freshen up their living space with a new sofa, sofa bed, armchair or accessories. You can search by category or check out what’s available from each of our quality, hand-picked retailers. And don’t forget to sign up to our customer hotline for the latest offers on sofas in the UK!

15. teamrose

teamroseMember

Threads:
    Ikea is a great place to get cheap sofas if you are a little bit handy. You may have to put on the feet or something.

16. teamrose

teamroseMember

Threads:
    Here is a quick link to the Ikea store:

17. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I agree with Craigslist. I got my sofa set from Craigslist. The lady who was selling them had them up for a great price and let me come see them in person. She had to get rid of them fast because she had to unexpectedly move - so it was honestly better for her to try to sell them for cheap to get some money out of it than toss them, leave them out, or take it to a second hand store. Most of the time, people are either moving or bought a better set - so they are eager to get rid of it, so you can haggle or figure out a better pricing. Of course, you should always be careful. Always ask for pictures from all angles, what kind of home they live in (smokers, children, pets, etc.), and try to see it in person before you need to make a commitment.

18. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    When getting old furniture - always make sure there are no any kind of insects when you bring them to your home. The furniture could be infested with carpet beetle. They love to eat clothes, wool and fur and they also multiply fast so you can't get rid of them without poisoning your whole home. Bed bugs would be even worse as they bite humans, so don't accept old mattresses - just to be sure :p

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    A lot of furniture stores also often have returned pieces, nicked and dented pieces, and such in the backs of their stores. I've seen them at Value City and Big Lots, they're even cheaper and you can often easily touch up the blemishes. I've even seen them sell these at places like Macy's at heavily discounted prices.

I would be very careful buying used furniture though as others have noted. This is kind of gross, but one of my friends took a couch that someone was throwing out when he lived in Vegas, and him and his two roomates ended up catching scabies from it.