Cheap Ways Of Travel

Discussion in Travel started by danielle davidson • Jun 16, 2015.

1. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I find that the most expensive way to travel is by plane. I mean I don't really like taking planes in the first place, so I don't mind not using them. When I travel I usually go by car, but recently I have been going by train when the destination is farther away. It's less stressful when you're taking the train. Honestly, I think that sometimes it might be the cheaper way to go. A ticket is usually around $100 and you might spend that much in gas just going down and then driving around. I think that driving by train is the way to go. I use Amtrak and it's worked well for me. I just wish that I was able to find more deals. I know they have a student discount that I could use, but I never signed up for one. I also have heard that buses are another cheap way to travel. So, what is the best way that you guys have found to travel?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The bus is always cheap if you book early. I used to use MegaBus (and I still do) as they do $1 deals or even free tickets from time to time. I went from New York to Boston for 50 cents ( the booking fee). The train is more expensive and less flexible, but you should get the student discount, the only thing is you have to go in person to book it and you can't do it on the spot. They do offer some good discounts though and is worth it for long journeys.

Flying can be cheaper now, it depends where you are and how far in advance you book. The only thing is getting from the airport to town which can cost more. That's why I like central bus stations or trains.

3. danielle davidson

Threads:
    I actually had never heard of that bus system before, and I just looked it up. It does seem like a cheaper way that you are able to travel. If I was going to one of those places, then it would be a great way to travel. I might look into this the next time that I am traveling. Thank you for that!

Yeah, I mean for me I go between VT and CT a lot, so flying probably wouldn't be that cheap for me. It would be easier to just take the train. That way I don't have to drive long to the train station vs going to the airport which is about 45 min away. So I stick to the train right now because that is what works for the best for me.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are lucky to find promo tickets in the internet mainly from Cebu Pacific, the cheap airlines here. Our haunt is a foreign trip and we get promo tickets at less than 50% of the cost. Last year we traveled to Singapore and Hongkong. Early this year we were in Beijing and Kuala Lumpur. Thanks to those promo tickets.

5. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I consider traveling by plane although it is more expensive than traveling by land. Usually, I look for a promo ticket. The price is really low, sometimes it's cheaper than the train ticket. It is good that nowadays the airline offer a lot of promos so it is easier to travel.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also think traveling by bus is the cheapest way to travel if you traveling locally that is. And it's a lot more convenient than driving your car around, paying parking fees, being ticketed, etc.

I suppose EU residents don't have to take flights to countries they want to visit in the Eurozone either? If you are up for it you could travel around Europe on a bicycle.

I'd like to try that some day.

7. danielle davidson

Threads:
    Yes, I find that too, and that's why I don't always travel by plane if I don't have to. I also look for tickets that I can get on sale. It's hard though because when I go by train I use Amtrak. There are never any deals with the tickets that they sell. I look online for them all the time and you always have to have some type of reward with them. It stinks, but that's the only train that I am able to take, so I just buy the tickets anyways.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, flying is quite cheap here with budget airlines and can be cheaper than the ferry, bus or train. The airport taxes are what makes the tickets expensive, that's the EU for you.

I would prefer to fly, but if the train station is in town, I would choose that option. In Italy, the train is the best way to travel and is really cheap.

In the US, it depends on the routes available and in VT (Burlington or Montpelier) there are Megabuses to NY, Boston or Hartford CT. If you are flexible you can get a one way for $10 which is great, but there is only one bus a day, but see how much you can save!

9. jackob

jackobNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing this post with all of us, I really liked it, Being a traveler i believe that we'll get so many of the chances to visit the thing with all of us. I am sure that in future also you will not stop to share this kind of informative posts with all of us.

10. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you intend to go to places outside of your country, say in Asia, Europe and other continents, there's no way you'd get to any of those places without riding a plane. So even if riding a car and a train may be economical, they can only take you so far. Plane fares may be expensive but if you know where to look, then you'd be able to travel cheaply. Go for promos or those tour packages. They can save you tons.

11. jackob

jackobNew Member

Threads:
    x Tine, It's really not a bad idea which you have shared, I also agree with this, and think that this way is cheap for travelling. So i appreciate you for sharing this with all of us.

12. samanthafox

samanthafoxNew Member

Threads:
    I have found lots of airline deals . If you have no problem making last min plans then the best way to get really dirt cheap tickets is to book the last minute flight deals. Sometimes you'll have to pay just 40% of the price ..