Cheap Ways To Block Out Noise?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Aug 24, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ever heard to live next to a loud neighbor? Then you probably know how annoying it can be. Solutions I've seen around are rather costly. A noise blocking "system" I saw on one site costs well over $1,000 but there's no guarantee that it will kill the noise completely.

Do you guys know some cheap ways to block or muffle the noise? Someone suggested thick curtains but can they get the job done?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure there is a solution unless you ask them to keep the noise down, or work around when they are being noisy. I lived (rented) next door to someone who bought his kid a drum kit and he played badly with the windows open.

It was very annoying, but what can you do? Surely some people should have sense and be considerate? I ended up having to go to the library or out to escape, but it was nothing anyone could do except to tell them to be considerate.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Trying to block out excessive noise is unfortunately something that I have become extremely familiar with over the years and although I've found it to be a virtually impossible task - as there doesn't seem to be anything on this earth that is capable of doing such job - other than removing yourself from the situation - particularly as none of the so called noise blocking systems work effectively enough to even muffle sound let alone block it out and nor does installing extra sound insulation or for that matter thick curtains either - about the only thing that does help to keep your sanity is to use white noise.

In fact when a friend first told me - that the only way she could cope with excessive noise was to always have a fan or the AC running in the room she was in - even in the depths of winter - I thought she was either losing her mind or was playing a joke on me - however as I haven't looked back since - it might be worth a try - especially as - not only does the sound have a calming effect but it muffles it enough to stop you going totally insane.

I would however just add - that you don't have to have a fan or the AC running year round - as its very easy to either record the sound of a fan onto a cd and play it on repeat for as long as you want - or better still - as there is now a wide selection of white noise available - you could always visit one of the multiple online stores and pick up a ready recorded disc with a sound specifically suited to you.

4. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    In this one music studio we went to, where bands practice, they use egg containers to block out the noise. It may not look attractive but it does work as it effectively blocks the noise. They plastered the walls and even the ceiling with egg containers. If you do not care about the look of the room, then this might work for you.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Just how excessive is the noise? You may want to address some of it directly with your neighbor to at least reduce how much is happening during sleeping hours.

Beyond that, what about just using headphones and such when you're needing a bit of peace and quiet and they're not on the same page with you?

6. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of the egg crates being used before to block out music. I've lived with this issue in the past, and still do deal with some noise from neighbors, but thankfully, for the most part, it's not nearly as bad as before. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is earplugs. If you live alone, that might be the easiest solution. Just stick them in when the noise starts, or as @Jessi@Jessi suggested, if you like music, you could wear earbuds or headphones. I get a headache from wearing things on/around my head for long periods, so have opted for the earplugs, as well as white noise. I've also cranked my television very very loudly when the neighbors have gotten too loud, and somehow they understood the message, and quieted down. I have placed some large trellis planters on the back porch and planted Asian jasmine on them, which helps somewhat with the sound, and definitely helps with visually blocking out the neighbors.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are times when our neighbor would hold a karaoke night with some guests. It's not actually too loud since theirs is 3 houses away from ours. But during sleeping hours, the sound of their music can be irritating. Our only recourse is the thick curtains. Fortunately, we have an airconditioner that we regularly use particularly at night. That curtain deadens the music somehow.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think the best solution is for them to sound proof their home instead of you since it's much easier to keep noise from getting out instead of fighting to keep it out. If you're left without much option then maybe try and find the seams where sound could get in and try to seal it. I had a neighbor with a loud dog once and I found that since my windows were very good the sound was sealed off immediately once I closed them.

9. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I often end up being a day sleeper or wanting a daytime nap but I have found that it's easier to block the noise from me with noise canceling headphones or ear plugs than it is to block it out of the space.

If I need to sound-proof a space, I sacrifice my windows. I use the foam board insulation in the window. It's great to block both light and noise, especially when combined with good curtains.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it is a rented apartment, are you able to have a word with the letting agent? It could be that they are in breach of their contract by making excessive noise so you might want to check. The letting agent would be able to issue them with a written request to keep the noise down.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's excessively loud noise and it's happening on a regular basis, I would definitely let your landlord know and complain about it. The longer you wait to tell them, the longer it's going to take for them to do something about it. I know it can be awkward once your neighbor get's notified that there was a complaint, but depending on how your building is laid out, they may not know for certain which neighbor complained. Or depending on when the noise is occurring perhaps your landlord could use some other explanation as to how they found out about it - such as the maintenance crew were there working on something and reported it back to them. If it's happening during the daytime, they could even stop by and knock on their door saying they heard the loud noise while they were examining the building for whatever reason.

While you shouldn't realistically expect complete silence living in an apartment, that kind of comes with the territory, you shouldn't have to put up with excessive noise problems either. But you will need documentation of your attempts to contact the landlord about the issue in writing, in case you ultimately decide to break your lease if they refuse to do anything about it. If your landlord seems to be dragging their feet about the issue, be stern with them and indicate that you will not be renewing your lease with them if this is not taken care of. Now would also be a good time to go through your lease with a fine tooth comb to know for certain how far in advance you're required to notify them of your departure as well as when they auto renew your lease if that's in there too.

If it's some minor noise disturbances, they sell white noise machines at places like Bed Bath & Beyond for like $50 and they work really well. Plus you can take the device from room to room with you, unlike something such as a window mounted air conditioner. A nice pair of earbuds may help too when you're watching TV, or when you are using your computer. I've also used those disposable foam earplugs at night, but they are a bit uncomfortable if you use them as directed - you have to squeeze them into a tiny ball then insert them into your ear canal and let them expand to fill it. Just pushing them in doesn't form a good enough seal.