Cheap Ways To Fix Broken Gadgets

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Apr 23, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My brother recently decided to get his very old ipad fixed and I was surprised to hear it only costed him about $100 to fix a shattered screen as well as a broken charging socket. Granted, the new screen is obviously not the same quality as the original one but it does the job nonetheless and there's absolutely no disadvantage to it apart from a slightly less unappealing appearance.

I think it's great since the old ipad still works very well and fast even with newer apps and it was really worth it to have it fixed especially at a cheaper non-official store since it would probably have costed double or triple that amount at the official one.

Do you guys prefer to have your gadgets fixed at official stores or do you favor getting cheaper service over original parts and official service? What items have you had experience with getting fixed and was your experience good or bad?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's always better to pay more and get the device fixed with proper, OEM parts. However, you can acquire these same parts and do the replacements yourself in order to save some money. I always think a DIY approach is more rewarding and cost-effective if you know what you're doing.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I usually prefer official outlets before the local electronic repair shops. When my iPod Nano 6th gen broke I had to take to a local repair shop and after a few months in, more problems arise and I never got the chance to use that old iPod again. When I took it back to Apple they said some of the parts that were replaced by the local electronic repair shop are 'inadequate'.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the cost, how long you plan to keep the item, and what the use will be. If it's for a child, and the repair cost is low (and not dangerous), it might not matter. If it's for business, I'd have it fixed professionally with OEM parts. Another idea is to sell it, and use the money you receive to put on a new gadget.

5. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    There are people that say it is better to just pay the hundreds to get it properly fixed. Though, regular people don't havemoney to shell out like that.

6. Diane Lane

Threads:
    If it costs hundreds of dollars to fix it, unless it's a car, it probably would get the old duct tape treatment here, because most gadgets aren't worth that much, once they've been used.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the gadget though, and if the OEM replacement part is still available to begin with. If not, then you have no choice but to settle for the generic part. I tried to fix my phone by replacing the flex cable and I was successful with it. I won't do that to other more complex gadgets, though.

8. Diane Lane

Threads:
    Yes, that's very true. Some of us hold onto our things for longer than others, and actually try to repair them. The adapter I bought for my laptop is still working well, so I'm not going to bother to buy a battery, which is expensive, since the laptop isn't working very well and is so old. Congrats on fixing it! I'm not all that handy, so I'm always thrilled when I'm able to repair something.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I owe all my DIY solutions to Youtube. :D I saved $12 getting a technician do it for me, and even if I told him I would just provide him the flex cable, he still won't do it if the part won't come from him. Oh well, it's his loss. I know that's the racket of technicians, to buy the parts themselves and overcharge you for doing it. If the gadget still works fine, then why not use it until it can't be fixed anymore, right?