Cheaper to build a computer.

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by SireStryder • Mar 19, 2014.

1. SireStryder

SireStryderNew Member

Threads:
    I do not know if this forum knows but it is usually cheaper to build your own computer instead of buying a premade one. It can be fun and rewarding but most importantly you save money. If you spend some time researching computer parts and deciding what you need it will not take that long. Alternatively you can ask someone who is knowledgeable or find some templates of current systems for the price or what you want it for.

2. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    It's possible to save money building your own computer, but the thing is, you need to know what to get and what each component means and why one is cheaper and the other isn't. For example, a pure Intel CPU is more expensive than an AMD of equivalent power. Why? It's mainly because Intel is a bigger brand name than AMD. At the same time some Intel chips work better with some hardware components and applications than AMD and vice versa. So definitely do your research first. My GPU works better with my AMD processor than if I have a different CPU.

I wouldn't suggest templates, because there is just way too many variables. It's easier to tell us what you intend to use your computer for instead and we can work from there.

3. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It normally depends on what you to use the computer for. If you are going to use the computer for gaming, then it is much cheaper to custom build your computer. I have been building custom computers for a long time and I always find them cheaper and meet my requirements so easily.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    While I must admit that it's cheaper to build your own computer, not everyone has the technical knowledge required to do that on their own. If you're that kind of person then to save time and money you'll have to weigh all the pros and cons. If for example you'll need an expert to do anything for you and you have to pay them, what's the point in trying to save and spend more on 'some' expert builder/assembler? For such people [like] me it's highly recommended that you buy a pre-made PC or if you really don't want to spend much there's always the option of buying a second hand computer.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Of course it is, but you have to do some research before you build a custom one. Just because one brand is cheaper than the other, it doesn't always mean that the pricier one is better, or vice versa. Before buying the parts, check for the specs and compatibility, some parts might not be compatible with each other, some might not even work. The best way to really save money on building a custom made PC is to research want you want to build and always compare prices

6. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    If you are going for a very basic build for a computer, then I would absolutely recommend building one. It truly can be a great experience that leaves you more fulfilled than if you just simply bought a pre-built system. However, as some of the other posters have mentioned, if you don't have the knowledge of computer parts, you may end up spending more than you had planned. It's not the best decision to buy the cheapest parts just to save money up front because the price could easily go up if the cheap parts break sooner than later. It's best to weigh both options and see what fits you best.

7. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that if you need a computer that will deliver the goods at a lower price then building is definitely the way to go, but if you wanted a computer for general and average use the it wont really make a difference. I would even recommend you look into the second hand market and you will find something decent for your money. So to me it is really about knowing what it is that you want your machine to do.