Cheaper To Exercise At Home?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by ExpertAdvice • Jun 22, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    For centuries, it would seem, there's been a debate--at least among those who are into fitness--as to whether you save more by staying at home and working out, or by going to the gym.

Of course, I'm sure some of you are already thinking about the gym membership fee that you'd have to pay if you were a member of a particular gym, so that definitely would strike you as saying that going to the gym is more expensive...

But, have you tried to focus on it from a perspective that says perhaps the expense that you pay at the gym is merely financial?

What I'm trying to get at is: would you say that the cost of the gym membership is worth it when you weigh it against the cost of staying at home and getting a workout that is not even half as good as the gym workout?

Or do you think that the at-home workout can be just as effective?

Please let me know what you think!

What's better to save in this instance: the money or the less-effective workout?!

[​IMG]

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on your goals. If you want to get ripped, the gym is the best way to go. Working out solely at home requires tremendous discipline to get the same kind of physique you can get at the gym with the help of a personal trainer. But for weight loss/general health and fitness, there’s more room for keeping it at home. In fact, since diet is heavily involved in weight loss I would go so far as to say a lot of it will happen outside of the gym. Maybe it won’t happen as quickly, but it’ll still happen if you commit.

3. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I find I get a better workout and save money when I work out at home, for many reasons. I live near a park that has a great trail all around it, so I can use it for cycling or running. The only thing it costs me is time and the dollars spent on good running shoes. I can go at my convenience. Usually I go out to run at 6am, and I don't have to use any gas or deal with traffic to get the gym. The trail is always available; I never have to wait my turn. I can stretch and do warm-ups in my own living room, and when I feel like changing things up, I do some cardio in my own home. I feel like it's much more beneficial to workout at home and skip the gym membership.

4. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, resistance training has its place in keeping you in the pink of your health. It's not just about ripped muscles but about fitness and health too. It's proven that your oxygen consumption goes up even at rest after a spell of anaerobic exercise thus accelerating fat burning and keeping you in shape. A combination of aerobic and anaerobic exercises go a long way in maintaining a great health.

For me, a gym is more affordable and cheap as I can utilize a walker, weights, dumbbells, and other equipment with a flat monthly fee. The ambience, people, and music also motivate me to give it a daily visit. I get a fitness trainer too. Well, I can't brag about it, but a gym is an ideal place for me to seek fitness than at home.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find this too. I am saving money and still venturing to keep somewhat fit. The gym atmosphere is more likely to push you though. You tend to make friends and work out with certain people, and you can push one another, whereas at home, you are the one who has to push yourself. But overall, I can keep fit and keep my money working out at home, so that is the option that suits me best.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I'd say this being a debate for centuries is a debate in itself ;) but I digress..

I find the fitness industry to be one of the biggest shams out there.. so full of misinformation and dangerous practices. We are meant to move, but we are not meant to push ourselves in such ways. We CAN and we will find some benefit, of course.. but stress is stress and certain forms of "fitness" is downright wrong for the human body in the long run. You can get all you need on your own, with body weight or with just moving in any way that feels right or is fun. If that's in a gym, so be it. As long as your moving, you're doing right by your bod.. add a proper diet and you're golden.

7. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    A gym workout may not actually be better for many people the. What they can do at home. Walking, jogging and running, climbing stairs are all things that can be done outside a gym and are some of the most effective ways to burn fat. Purchasing a few weights is all you need for basic, but very effective strength training exercises.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    I found this cardio workout online. It takes four minutes overall. But it is essentially a two minute workout that is done twice and it amounts to four minutes overall. I was sure to stretch before doing it, to avid injury, and my right knew has been experiencing pains ever since. I am not sure if my form was off, if I put my body under too much stress not what. But I couldn't even get through the second round. Very high intensity.

9. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think working out at home means that your workout isn't as good as the one you will get at a gym, as long as you do it correctly you will be fine. I've seen just as many people do a poor workout at a gym. I've been working out at home for years and thanks to the internet there is a plethora of great workouts available for free.

And a lot of them require no equipment at all!

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me personally, I can successfully visit the gym regularly when I have a gym buddy. I've tried to do it on my own a few times, and end up paying the fee and failing to actually go! It works better for me when I have someone else to work with and spur each other on.

Working out at home requires a lot of focus and discipline, which I don't always have.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many people injure themselves in most forms of exercise because proper form is not taught. Plus fast and furious doesn't really make sense when you consider how muscle works. It's more about cardio anyway I suppose, but hard core cardio isn't necessary either. If it makes you feel good, awesome, but it's always best to understand proper form. Most trainers I've ever seen don't have a clue (not just form, but health and fitness in general), whether it's in a gym, online or on vid. I know exactly 3 who know what they're doing and they didn't learn via the same avenues the others did.

12. GavinGimbo

GavinGimboMember

Threads:
    Exercising at home is cheaper for normal workouts to keep you healthy as long as you follow a proper workout schedule and diet intake.

However, if you're wanting to serious results quicker in time, then it's best to get a gym membership. Don't miss out on your gym sessions though! Otherwise it will be a waste of time and money.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never liked the atmosphere in gyms, so it'snot my inclination to become a member in one.
    When I injured my back a while ago, I went to see an osteopath who offered the use of his home gym to his clients for rehabilitative purposes. The machines and exercises started growing on me. I am now thinking of investing in a machine for my own home.

14. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I'll be honest. We don't have a gym membership for the physical health benefits. Because I fully believe that if someone wants to "get in shape" it can be done completely for free by running and doing calisthenics in the home.

My gym membership is more like a club membership. I do it for the break from my kids. I do it to socially connect to others in my town. Going to the gym for me is much more social than anything else. It is an added benefit that I also get to work out.

I enjoy group classes and I sometimes only use the childcare and read a book in a quiet place. For me, it is absolutely worth every dime we pay each month.

But if I didn't have kids, I'd have a different opinion I think.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    I actually think that it was the squats that did me in, to be honest lol. I have been doing them for quite some time now, and despite watching many videos on form and such, I was still kind of performing them my own way? That is probably why my knee smarts.

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ooooh the squats! Dat ass tho! lol. Yeah, I've watched a lot of people doing their squats (I sound like a gym stalker lol), it's so funny to see everyone's versions of them and I'm in pain just watching it. Although, I'm in pain just watching the correct way as well lol.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lmaooo. I've always had the perfect ass. If there is one part of my body that is on point, it is that ;) But as a fellow Libra, I'm thinking that you know how attractive we can be :) When you do the squats, you are supposed to keep the heels of your feet on the ground, not lift them up. I was lifting them up. But then when I began to do them properly, I wasn't able to get the depth on my hips, like I was previously.

18. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on if you're able to actually focus on your workout at home. For me, I can't at all. I have to be in the gym to get in a good mind-set and just focus for 30-45 minutes on a quality workout. When I try at home, all the distractions and things I need to get done get in the way. And gym memberships are so cheap these days that it costs $1 or less a day to pay for it. I'd say that's a pretty good price to pay for your health.

But if your someone who can focus at home, go for it! Saving money when you can is never a bad thing.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    Really? That is interesting. I tend to be the opposite of you. I work better and can focus a lot better when I don't have other people around to distract me. It is just easier. I'm like this when it comes to anything that doesn't involve working out too. I can focus somewhat when other people are around, but it is just easier when I am by myself, in the comfort of my own home. The shower is here and everything after I get done working out.

20. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Let's be honest with ourselves, there's really not much to expect from the comfort of your home unless you really want to buy those expensive thingies the gym owners get. You can't expect the same results. Though, yeah, if you want to be alone and not see absolutely every person from the city you live in there, then that would be a good idea from that point of view. Else, just do as everyone else: struggle! :)