Cheaper To Make Breakfast

Discussion in Food & Drink started by TheViper • Jan 7, 2016.

1. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    One of the most important meals of the day doesn't have to be the most expensive meals of the day. I found that we are too often willingly to trade in time for convenience. Doing so comes at a cost and that cost is always your wallet as it becomes lighter with each day. Often times we find it easier to head to McDonalds and grab a breakfast sandwich for a dollar or more. Heck spending a dollar a day is nothing right? No, it can all add up and end up causing you way more in the end. I would recommend for people to make more in home choices then springing for dishing out money.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We always have breakfast at home that is prepared by us and we only buy fastfood breakfast when we have a trip in the early morning particularly when we go to the resort. But at home, we eat our favorite fried rice with fried dried fish maybe for less than half the cost of buying it in the drive thru. Aside from saving money, preparing our own breakfast assures us of fresh food particularly the rice (sometimes it is dry in fastfood, obvious that it is already old).

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It always will save someone money if they make all their meals. Breakfast, lunch . . . all meals. Last month when person who'd been staying with me left I thought buying ready-made meals, which was more convenient, would save me some money but I ended up spending almost double what I spent when I made meals for 2 every day.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I very,very seldom eat out for breakfast, because I really have the least elaborate breakfast ever. It can be anything from a piece of toast, to a small pot of yoghurt through to a banana. I always have 1-2 mugs of coffee along with it. It's usually light, grab and go food that doesn't require much prep or effort eating it LOL I just know that even something so simple would cost a lot more than I'm prepared to part with if I were to go to a restaurant/cafe.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I would never buy breakfast outside of my home because I know it costs far too much money to do things like that. Instead I will buy the food that I would like to eat and cook it at home. It costs hardly anything to do it like this, so I very much enjoy doing things this way. It saves a lot of money in the long term, so it is more than worth it!

6. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    This is so true, but man there are some GREAT breakfast places where I live! It's so hard to not want to go and just pick up something quick. There's a Mexican restaurant right up the street that makes amazing smothered breakfast burritos and I was actually planning on getting some this weekend. But I should probably just save. It's so hard for me though. Thanks for the advice, it's definitely a necessary reminder!

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    We always eat breakfast at home for the most part because it is much cheaper and we get to spend time just relaxing with the family. When I am home on the weekends I tend to make a big breakfast and we normally have left overs for the next day. I like the breakfast food I make much better than what I find at restaurants anyway.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Aside of making your own breakfast being cheaper it's healthier too. You can't beat the convenience of buying breakfast and the variety, but the calories and LDL goes sky high too. We at our age have to eat sensibly, so making our own meals is essential to staying healthy too.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    i am not usually up in the AM to go out to breakfast. When I am, the restaurants that are around here don't have good breakfasts so it is not an incentive to go out. I enjoy going out for breakfast and I wish he had some quality places to go...but you are right making breakfast at home is usually better and cheaper...unless you are eating doughnuts or something , lol.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like making breakfast at home. I find it way to expensive to eat out. I can make just as nice a breakfast at home for a fraction of the cost. It amazes how it adds up so quickly. We were just at a hockey tournament and had to eat out so we chose Tim Horton's. A breakfast for 4 people still cost us almost $20. I can make eggs, bacon, toast, home fries for our family for a few dollars. It boggles my mind to think of the money wasted eating out especially for breakfast. It's one meal that most people can make at home.

11. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Breakfast is awesome...period. very few places make a genuinely good breakfast. In a perfect world, I would have a power breakfast in the morning and workout in the evening. Favorite foods are waffles, bacon, omelettes, grits, minute maid orange juice, and a really good coffee blend.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think generally people have a lot to gain in making meals at home because it ends up being a much healthier option and in the end that amounts to less hospital bills. However, I Think this would work much better if you actually cook healthier food at home since if you just end up using a lot of other processed ingredients then you're probably better off just buying from a restaurant since at least then you could save some time and effort.

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cannot tel you the last time that I purchased breakfast. I don't own a car, so I wouldn't just wake up in the morning and then head to KFC or a deli or whatever.But someone like my mother would already have to be out of the house and would have to ring me to ask if she wanted me to get takeaway breakfast. I much more prefer to prepare my breakfast and know that I am not eating processed trash.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for some Egg McMuffins first thing in the morning before work, or after a long night of drinking. But especially now that McDonald's has raised the prices of their breakfast menu, I don't go there nearly as much any more.

One thing I do like to treat myself and my friends to, is a nearby diner that serves $1.99 breakfast platters on Saturday mornings. I mean, you can get in and out of there with coffee and a tip for about $5 a person. The breakfast is your standard fare, and includes two eggs, your choice of sausage or bacon, home fries, and your choice of pancakes or toast. I can treat our whole table to breakfast for like $20, which isn't bad at all.

But that said, breakfast is one of the cheapest meals of the day that you can cook at home. A carton of eggs is like $1.50, and so is a loaf of bread. Pair that with some tea or coffee and you can have breakfast for a week for about $5.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Breakfast over here consists of bread and coffee, so that is a cheap breakfast, no need to worry about overspending. I also am not a fan of buying breakfast in fast food chains because they can be expensive.

#15Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  16. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Our breakfast are usually leftovers from last night or a bunch of fried processed food which are very unhealthy. We're not eating out, and I'm sure that it will cost us more to have our breakfast outside not to mention that they might give us even unhealthier food. So this year, hopefully we'll be able to create our own breakfast that consist of healthy ingredients. I'm starting to feel the toll of having too much unhealthy food that I've decided to change my diet for the better. Not only is it going to be cheaper, but it will also help me have a stronger body and promote socialization with my family as well.

17. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I had all of the money I spent on quick meals and coffee or tea back when I was working. It can really add up, especially if you go to a premium place such as Starbucks. Not only are the drinks expensive, but the pastries are also higher than at many other places. I would often go to Dunkin' Donuts or Au Bon Pain, not so much Starbucks, because it wasn't as big where I was living. I didn't buy breakfast nearly as much as my co-workers, but it still got expensive, and lunch was even worse. I started making my breakfast the night before, and would bring it in and heat it up. Invariably, my co-workers were envious about what I had, which had cost me a lot less than whatever they'd purchased off a cart or in a shop that morning.