Cheapest company for smartphones?

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by xcmiller93x • Apr 24, 2012.

1. xcmiller93x

xcmiller93xActive Member

Threads:
    I would like a smartphone. I am on a family plan with my 2 sisters and my parents. To get a data package it's an extra $30 per month per phone. We can't afford that, so I was wondering if anyone knew the best company for purchasing smart phones from?

2. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    you can often get a prepaid voice-and-text-only plan and use your smartphone on it. Again, this depends on the carrier, but most people seem to have good luck with carriers like PagePlus or T-Mobile, as long as you choose a plan without data. Other prepaid carriers may work, but these two come the most highly recommended for data-less smartphones. And, if your prepaid phone has a SIM card (such as those on T-Mobile's prepaid plans), you can often swap it into any phone you want—even an unlocked iPhone—and keep calling and texting without a data plan looming over your head.

Try that I guess. Most carriers force you to have a data plan if you want a smartphone...
    Switching SIM cards from your current phone to an unlocked smartphone may work, but usually carriers (mostly AT&T) detect the smartphone and add on the extra 30$ in fees on your next bill.

Good luck!

3. thiefraccoon

thiefraccoonNew Member

Threads:
    Cheapest will be T-mobile or Virgin.
    T-mobile has
    $30
    100min, unlimited txt and 4G data.
    Virgin has
    $35
    300min, unlimited txt and 3G data.

These are great, if you don't use lots of minutes.
    But since these are prepaid, nobody's giving you free phones.
    You will either use a phone that you have, or buy one to use with their prepaid plans.
    Even if you do need to buy a new smartphone to take advantage of these prepaid plans, it's still worth it.
    (I ended up saving ~$400 this year. My phone was $290)

You also need to look at your current plan, and see if you're still under contract.
    If you're still in a 2yr contract, you will have to pay ETF (early termination fee) to get out.
    It could be pretty expensive, depending on how many months you have left, the phone you got at a subsidized price, and your carrier.

If you're asking where is a good place to buy a phone, I'll still suggest you look into the prepaid option, but you should look for your phone from a reputable seller online.
    A reputable seller on Ebay, buying direct from Amazon, etc...

4. Zamora91

Zamora91Member

Threads:
    T-Mobile and Virgin both have bad reception. If you want a quality and cheap carrier, go to Sprint. The family data plan comes with 1500 minutes, and unlimited data and text. It starts off at 129.99 for two lines, and 19.99 for each additional line. Around 150.00, not including taxes of course. Always ask for promotions and discounts. I believe the student discount is %15 if you're a student.

5. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I choose Verizon and so far they're pretty good. Go to their website now because often times they have a promo!

6. leighdu

leighduNew Member

Threads:
    This hasn't been mentioned yet, but the Straight Talk plan is actually the cheapest I've seen. I think it may exclusively at Wal-mart stores, but last I checked, it was around $45 unlimited everything, including data, and there is a nice selection of smart phones ($90 for a family plan). I am thinking of switching myself as my sister and her family use Smart Talk and she says the reception is crystal clear and the phones are great.

7. BestCrispAir

BestCrispAirNew Member

Threads:
    I would look at LightInTheBox online and get a phone there if I were not going with Sprint. Then I would go with either Boost or MetroPCS as they both offer unlimited Data. My sister has been with Boost for a while now, before that, she was MetroPCS. The reason that she switched is that Boost offers a $5.00 per month discount if you pay ontime every month for six months, and then it lowers by $5.00 more dollars every month until you are down to less than $50.00 per month per phone. That seems very fair to me.

8. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that for a smart phone with a major carrier your best deal is Sprint. $Unlimited everything for $129. They also offer other discounts if you have discount codes, or someone in your family works for a major company. My daughter gets 25% off with them. So she gets he Iphone with unlimited minutes and unlimited data for like $97 a month!

9. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    Here in the UK, my friend got her smartphone (iPhone 4S) from the company Orange on a very cheap contract, she pays around 12GBP a month for it and gets a very good and competitive allowance with it too!

10. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    I'm not sure where you are located but Cincinnati Bell iWireless smartphone plans are $60 a month for unlimited everything. If that is too much, I think it's $15 a week. The good thing about Cincinnati Bell is that if you skip a week/month of paying all that will happen is your service will stop until you do. You have 3 months to add money to your account before they cancel your number all together and recycle it.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never had a problem with T-Mobile. Never had a dropped call or dead spots. I think it depends on your location.

I recommend Virgin Mobile for cheap and reliable service. Virgin Mobile piggybacks on the Sprint network. $35 for 300 minutes and unlimited text and data. It's mostly 4G unless you use a lot of data, then you are reduced to 3G. I love my Virgin plan, but I only pay $25/month

12. ljepilo

ljepiloActive Member

Threads:
    You can buy smartphones on Ebay on cheapest prices, just use some coupons :) !

13. kla0316@gmail.com

Threads:
    I have been researching Virgin Mobile as an alternative... Right now we use Verizon and it is pricey! We pay 140 a month for 2 lines with data packages. I believe Virgin Mobile is 35/month for unlimited texting and data.

14. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I am not sure about the company which will be carrying it, but I seen the iPhone 4S is going to be going as a pay as you go phone. So that may be an option for you to research more.

15. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    T-Mobile and Virgin mobile are the cheapest. However, you get what you pay for with them. Next a company like Cricket would be right behind them in terms of price. Cri ket does have better reception than Tmobile and virgin mobile.

16. mikydiky

mikydikyNew Member

Threads:
    T-mobile has some of the best and cheapest plans for smartphone. Their prepaid plans are so reasonable.
    There is the $30 unlimited data with 4g speeds, unlimited text and 100 mins plan. I recommend getting this prepaid plan because it is pretty much the cheapest plan with data you'll find and be most reasonable. This offer is only available online and not in stores.

17. Beetler76

Beetler76Member

Threads:
    Yeah, i've been seeing a lot of t-mobile ads, but you need to watch their unlimited data plan... even though it is unlimited, i think they only give you 2.5 GB at full speed... then it is reduced after that. Don't quote me on that because it has been a few weeks, but you need to read the fine print.

Personally, I'm really excited about republic wireless. They are going to have unlimited voice/text/data for $19 per month. Can't wait.

18. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of Republic wireless. Are they a local carrier? Whose network do they use?

19. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    If you are talking more about the plan than the phones, then Boost Mobile. It will start at $55 and drop down to $40 with their shrinkage unlimited talk, text and web plan. I was grandfathered in and I'll be paying $35 a month pretty soon. Boost runs on Sprint's network.

20. slamoutte

slamoutteNew Member

Threads:
    I use MetroPCS and i love it. You have unlimited talk, text and web. I spend $50 a month for a smartphone, and right now as a new customer if you get a smartphone you'll get $10 a month taken off for another line. Unfortunatley I couldn't get the $10 because I'm an existing company but I do get $5. This is very helpful.

The service itself is okay, it's of course not as good as Verizon or AT&T, but your money goes much further. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford a smartphone.