Cheapest Meat?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by JoanMcWench • Feb 23, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    What's the cheapest meat in your area right now? I've found when I travel certain areas of the world (& even just state to state in America) there can be dramatic price differences. Be it because certain places raise certain animals or the effects of taxes/added fees.

So, where are you in the world & what's your cheapest meat?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm in the UK and the cheapest meat available is usually minced (or ground) beef. The great thing about mince is that it can be bulked out even further with pulses and vegetables. I tend to buy larger packs, split them into portions and freeze. I've got the cost down to around 38 pence per portion by doing this.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    As someone who prefers beef, I tend to go for ground beef. If you have a large family buying in bulk is much cheaper. Some cuts of meat like flank steak can be pretty cheap as well. While the frozen stuff is always cheaper I find buying it fresh to be more flavorful and convenient, since there's no need to thaw.

4. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    That's pretty interesting that you both said ground beef. I've found if I buy the same meat that the counter is grounding & grind it myself it end up being cheaper by a noticeable amount.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, minced meat seems to be cheap wherever you go. I'm in Botswana, and after minced beef; chicken is the second cheapest. Also by comparison, beef here is generally cheaper than in the UK. You get bigger and better cuts for much less. When we first got here, my husband was shocked at the size of a T-bone steak.

6. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I have just relocated to a coastal town and the meat that was the most expensive in the mountains is now the cheapest here: Fish! We can get 'Fruit de Mer', fish, and fresh water fish from the nearby Canals. So far I have had some unnamed fish, smoked tuna, shrimp, tilapia, and Octopus. It was delicious. They say the Lobster is really expensive but we can get it for about 15.00 which is a far cry from the 50.00 that we have to pay back in my home state.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's a crazy price for lobster! You're very lucky indeed. I love fish but because my country is landlocked we can only have it frozen and imported from neighbouring South Africa. The taste is not quite the same :(