Cheapest Way To Construct Easter Baskets?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by JoanMcWench • Mar 14, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cheapest places I can go to pick up items to fill Easter baskets. I need to make about a hundred of them so bulk is probably my best bet but what about the baskets themselves?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Look online! Places like Amazon sell items like that in bulk, so you may be able to find a nice deal.

You may also want to start looking at thrift stores. It may be too close to the season now, but for future years, pick them up super cheap and stockpile them until you're ready for them.

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    100 baskets...that is a lot. I know they go on sale at the thrift stores around here for very cheap, so you might want to check out your local stores. As far as bulk fillers are concerned, look at Oriental Trading Company because they sell bulk holiday and party favors. I like buying items there when I have a lot of kids to buy candy and toys for.

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I would look in thrift stores and dollar stores, especially around this time of the year. They usually have easter-themed baskets (wicker or plastic) for sale for a very cheap price, so it wouldn't hurt to stock up now. They also have the stringy stuff (basket liners?) for sale too usually.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to check out your local drug store like CVS or Walgreens or the like. They may have it on sale, especially as it gets closer to easter.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right now at my local Goodwill, there are a bunch of pastel plastic baskets for 49 cents that could be used for Easter baskets. I agree that you should hit up thrift stores, and it can't hurt to ask the thrift store for a discount. The manager of my local Goodwill is a loud, scary looking man but he gives me discounts if I ask nicely for a better price.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you have a paper shredder? You could possibly make the basket grass yourself by shredding some colorful gift wrap. It's too bad you didn't know about the 100 baskets project last year. Easter stuff sometimes drops in price to 90% off after the holiday.

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of making grass with a paper shredder and actually plan to do it this year with my kids baskets. I have a ton of scrapbook paper in different colors that I will never end up using, so this is a good way to put some of it to use. I am trying to find the cheapest way to make my easter baskets this year too. I just bought the chocolate candies with a coupon I got in an insert in the mail. My next stop is the dollar store.

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    YES! Paper shredder is a great idea. I also have a TON of green construction paper so that's going to work out perfectly.

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I would probably check out stores like Dollar Tree, where everything is a dollar. Who knows, if you need a hundred of something they might even sell it to you for less. And, of course, you can probably also find goodies to go in the baskets in the same place.
    I know everyone likes the grassy stuff for the bottom of the baskets, but I always kind of preferred popcorn.

10. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I'd go with gift bags in this case, considering that you need so many and there isn't much time left. You should be able to find some in bulk then make your shredded grass. For those that don't have a shredder, you can just fold the paper and cut it into strips. You can also make Easter grass from junk mail and other papers, if you run out of green, or cut plastic grocery bags into strips too.

Another option, if you can get away with smaller baskets, is to buy a few packs of the large party cups and make them into mini baskets.

For filler, there are many large bulk bags of candy at places like Walmart and such. Also, look for packages of treats or novelties at Dollar Stores. Many of them have packages where you get more than one item for a dollar. Just split up the packs, and drop one item in each basket. As to my cup idea, this might help by keeping the baskets smaller and therefore needing less to fill them as well.