Checking and keeping your receipts

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Theo • Nov 11, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always check my receipt before I leave and keep them for at least a week afterwards just in case. You never know if you may need to return something or need to prove that you bought something.
    I know some people who never check their receipts or throw them away as soon as they get them.

I have found a few errors in my time, a promotion that didn't show or an item that was scanned too many times. I have queried the items and always got my money refunded. I'm sure many people have been overcharged by accident and never realized!

2. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just keep them until I'm happy with the purchase, also as well it is important to keep receipts if you pay with credit card so you can provide information if there's any problems.

3. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to keep my until any items on there I can return are out of their warranty range. I have been thinking about digitally copying all my receipts also to keep for future reference. I haven't fully decided on that yet.

4. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    If you have a smartphone, I highly recommend that you look up the app called reciept hog. You can earn rewards for scanning in your receipts which will eventually lead to gifts. It takes a while but honestly, it sounds like you would remember to scan them in unlike me. I forget to all the time. I don't usually look at my receipt but I really need to start looking. I worked as a cashier once and found it annoying that people would stand there and check their receipts like I messed up.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I keep receipts to upload to both receipt hog and receipt pal. I also use Checkout51 and Snap for groceries if they have something good on there. That's pretty much the only reason I keep receipts though,I hang onto them until they credit on all the apps I am using them on.

6. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    I review my receipts everytime I receive them from the shop. But I dont keep them. I use an application called cashtrail to record my transaction and with the option to photograph your receipt so I dont keep too many receipts in my bag or in my wallet. Doing this will also allow you monitor your accumulated expenses and also return to your previous purchases if you wanted to review them closely.

7. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I use Checkout 51 as well and mainly try to keep my receipts because of their compensatory rewards. Otherwise, I'm not the type of person that frequently keep receipts, seeing that I always check my change when I buy products and rarely, if ever, need to return anything I buy. But if I am buying anything highly valuable whether in person or online, I will surely make more attempts to keep the receipt.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some people who keep receipts because they want to keep tabs on price fluctuations and expenditure. This helps with budgeting because once they know which unnecessary items they were spending a lot of their money on, they could either cut back on buying them or stop buying them altogether. Could be very helpful when drawing up a saving plan.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My thoughts exactly. It's beneficial to compare the prices of items from time to time. Like a few days ago, I noticed that the price of energy drinks in the other supermarket that I go to are lower than the other branch where the mall is bigger. So keeping receipts is a good habit to know which store sells cheaper items.

10. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974Member

Threads:
    I am normally in the habit of doing exactly what you said: hang onto the receipt in case something is amiss. Recently I started using the Ibotta app, which gives you discounts on certain items if you take a picture of the barcode on the product and another of the receipt. I had sent in several receipts without a problem so I went ahead through the paper away, only to get a text today saying I didn't get credit because my picture was blurry! I learned a lesson not to get in such a hurry with the disposal of that paper in the future!

11. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I used to never keep a receipt, let alone just look at it until early last year. I discovered the apps of: punchcard, receipt pal, receipt hog, Ibotta and several others along the way. I still don't exactly pay attention to my receipts, though, just long enough to scan them in then they are sent to the recycling bin. I'm just amazed at how so much paper is wasted with all the millions of receipts given.

12. missbee23

missbee23Member

Threads:
    Some of my friends don't keep their receipts because they think it is more of a hassle, and not worth the fuss. But for me, even if it is a few cents, they are my cents. It takes pennies to make a dollar. We have paid for family vacations with the pennies in a big jar one year. I don't underestimate the power of a penny.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I were as diligent as you in that regard. I don't really have that much patience keeping receipts and organizing them. Even the ones that are supposed to be important, I end up accidentally throwing them in the trash. I will make it a habit to keep my receipts next time. They're very important particularly for liquidation and refund purposes.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am lousy when he comes to keeping receipts. I always have to remember to keep important ones, otherwise they go straight to the trash as it usually happens. I have a bad habit of just shoving my receipts in my purse, and when it gets full I just shove them all in the trash. It is a bad habit because sometimes I have to use a receipt and I cannot find it. I need to find a way to better way to save my receipts.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some stores offer to email a receipt to you which is a great idea, but for small purchases it's not always viable. I still like a physical receipt in case you get stopped or sometimes you need it to validate parking. Besides proof for people claiming expenses, it does also prove alibis for some people too, so receipts are valuable in many more ways than you can imagine.
    I once had to go through a 2 month campaign for expenses for 50 staff and you can imagine how painstaking it was checking them and if they had thrown them away, they couldn't claim.