Checking In Wedding Dress

Discussion in Travel started by chiofthenorns • Sep 1, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, everyone! I am going to go fly next year to the U.S., and I am going to bring my wedding dress with me along with some other wedding necessities. Has anyone here ever tried travelling with a wedding gown? I don't want to pack it in a suitcase because I don't want it to get creased. As much as possible, I want to hand-carry it, but I don't know the flight regulations for it.

Do airlines allow bringing in wedding dresses? Or do they have other regulations for this? I would appreciate all the advice you can give me because this has been bugging me for quite some times. Thank you very much in advance to all those who will answer and share their experiences.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I traveled overseas with mine but it was put on a crate, which was then put on a boat. (You know like the animals on the animated film Madagascar?lol) We had one crate that was allowed with the type of visa we had. I had already tried to sell it, give it away but in the U.S. every girl seems to want their own. So I thought maybe I would make a friend who could use it. I absolutely loved my wedding dress but the thought of it getting old and crumbly made me sad. The first person to come get us ended up being a very close friend. She took me to the market for my first time helping me learn how to say it in the language. She got married and her mom is my same age. They didn't have a lot of money so she was so appreciative. I gave it to her and told her she can keep it and allow others to use it in the future if she likes. It was really fun to see my dress in another wedding again. It traveled nicely I guess is the point of this story, but I did pay to have it vacuum sealed. You can find coupons online for that. Its highly worth it. That dress spent many winter/summer seasons in my parents attic but it was fine because of the special way it was packaged. If you don't have a dry cleaners near you that does that, then you can try to do it yourself by looking up different sites on the internet. Here is an article that discusses why we need to preserve our gowns. But after you read this, try typing in google search 'DIY Wedding Gown Preservation' and you'll find more information there.