Cheese: Namebrand Or Storebrand?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Jan 3, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    There was a time when I was extremely picky about my cheeses and they always had to be Kraft or they had to come from the Wisconsin Cheese Shop. Then I started finding that some of the store brands were pretty good. I got used to buying them and never bought the name brands anymore; but lately I'm thinking the store brands I'm buying don't seem to be as flavorful as they used to be, so I bought I block of Kraft sharp cheddar. Mmmm. Now I know my store brand is more than a bit lacking; but still, I can't make myself pay the brand name prices, so no way am I going to allow myself to get used to the taste of Kraft as much as I'd like to. It's back to the store brand for me.

2. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I honestly can't stand Kraft, I don't even think it's real cheese. I buy my cheese from the deli and get the real thing, from a cow, not from a manufacturing line. But as between Kraft and the 'store version' of Kraft, I personally don't taste any difference.

3. RedShu22

RedShu22New Member

Threads:
    When I was younger....I believed that Namebrands were superior, i've since realized that most often the namebrands have simply build up trust
    with their consumers. Through advertising their brand for years they are successful with maintaining their market share. On the other hand...some
    store brands are just as good as the namebrands, personally I've stopped eating cheese, as it doesn't agree with my system. It creates mucus,
    which is difficult to get out of my system....and not worth the hassle. With other products, I generally compare the ingredients....it they are the
    same, I purchase the cheaper storebrand, with age I value every dollar.

#3Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  4. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    We buy both store brand and name brand but it really depends on the product. If we're buying something that's not as "vital" to our household home such as dishwashing soap, tissues, and table napkins, we go with the store brand products. However, when it comes to food my mom always opts to go with name brand products. I can't really say if a name brand is better than a store brand but my mom's really at ease with name brand's so it's fine I guess. Our family always goes with whatever she's happy with and that's all that matters for all I care.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love cheese and as long as it tastes good in my mouth, I'll eat it. I'm not that fussed about the brand name as such. I'll eat name brands as well as store brands, If I have a little extra money I'll visit a deli. I also like those ones you get from farm markets, arguably the best in terms of taste, in part because they're not as heavily processed or leaden with additives and preservatives.

6. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends on what kind of dish I'm preparing, or if it's for snacks or something. For example, if I need a large amount of cheese for something like fondue, I'll go with a cheaper store brand option because I'll be going through so much of it. If I'm making hordeurves that only require a small sprinkling of cheese to accent the flavour, I'll use a nicer name brand or even find a local cheese maker and pay the premium for better flavour.

7. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it matters if it's good. I've had some name brand cheeses that I absolutely didn't like. I've also had some store brands that were just as good, if not better than the name brands. Usually, If I'm making a bunch of food I'll buy store brands because it's cheaper and everyone wouldn't know the difference for the most part.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I ever buy name brand cheese. I will literally always choose the one that appeals more to me, and I don't even look at the brand. I will usually look at the color, at the expiry date and how good it looks. And also the price! I usually buy store brand because it's cheaper, but it must look good as well otherwise I will skip it.
    I do find that somethings are better quality when it's a name brand, but cheese is not one of them in my opinion.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really doesn't bother me. At the end of the day, cheese is basically mouldy milk. There are only certain types I like, but I've never noticed the difference between brands. You cannot beat cheese direct from a farm though, although this can get very expensive. The only cheeses I avoid completely are the processed brands.

10. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Kraft... That's not cheese! XD If I want THAT kind of cheese, I really don't care about name brands or whatever. I don't care about brands in general-- many companies make BOTH of the products, to appeal to different customers and not lose any of the profits. Some people buy the brand just 'cause they think the no-name is shit quality, even when it's not.

I buy good cheese. Cheese from fromageries, goat cheese, blue cheese, brie cheese. And then it's not really much about the brand, yeah.

11. nonsiccus

nonsiccusActive Member

Threads:
    Speaking of no-name brands, they're often just licensed from the large manufacturers. I know Kirkland (Costco's store brand) often strikes a deal with companies to provide licensed bulk goods for Costco. So instead of buying Planter's brand mixed nuts, you'd get Costco's Kirkland mixed nuts, but they're the exact same product. You'll get the Costco one for slightly cheaper because Costco struck a large bulk deal with the manufacturer and is passing on some of those savings to the consumer.