Chef Boyardi

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Rosyrain • Mar 29, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Growing up, I remember my mom used to buy those canned pasta dishes because they were simple to make and we kids loved them. I think my generation is much more health conscious and I would never buy them for my kids because they are loaded with preservatives. Do you buy these canned dinners?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't buy them usually, but I must say, the canned ravioli is a guilty pleasure of mine. I don't even have to heat it in order to enjoy it, which I know is disgusting to most people, but I still enjoy it, ha.

3. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Yea, I was all about the ravioli & the meatballs in the cans but I could not stand the O's or the alphabet shaped noodles. That & the 'sauce' were just not favourites of mine. I rarely eat them myself but I do have some generic ones in my pantry as I type.

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    No, it's not something I would do. Something like a pasta dish is easy to create anyway. It's not like you're creating a curry or something like that (I probably wouldn't get a canned version of a curry either, mind you). But I see no point in getting something like that in the can format when the original is quite easy and infinitely healthier.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Oooh, I could not even imagine how bad a canned curry would be. I sort of liked the ravioli, but the rest of them make me want to gag. They are not something that is ever in my pantry at home and I don't think my kids have ever tasted them before, unless they had these canned meals when they were away at a sleep over or something. It just amazes me how much more of a health wise society these days and are recognizing that just because it is in the store and is edible, does not make it good for us to eat.

6. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I remember eating those and spaghettios when I was a kid, it was usually a treat, but boy did we love them! I've bought them a couple of times for my kids but they just don't like them and honestly, I don't like them anymore either. It's just as easy for me to make a big pot of sauce and freeze it into individual containers, then add pasta when needed!

7. Megan888

Megan888Member

Threads:
    I don't think I would buy them on a regular basis but might buy them occasionally as a treat. Or keep them on hand for an in-need situation like a time situation or special circumstance where I needed a 2 minute dinner. I love the Mac & Cheese in a can, which is probably the worst one nutrition wise. I very rarely eat it but I do love it!

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy them from time to time. I don't typically buy them, but whenever my folks stop by, they often times bring me a goodie bag of pantry items such as pasta, tomato sauce, and such - and will occasionally throw these in there too. They do come in handy during those days/evenings where I am starving but have no energy to cook, or when I am totally out of groceries, and want something filling and quick. I always eat them with a buttered slice of Italian bread and tons of Parmesan sprinkled on top.

For many years I could not pin down what made their sauce taste so "different" from other pasta sauces, and I later found out that the sauce used in most of their products has cheese melted into it, I believe it's American Cheese.

9. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I never liked the spaghetti-o's, but loved the ravioli. After I left home I never ate them much again. The last time I opened a can of ravioli was probably ten years ago and that was the first time in many years. I wondered why ever liked them. It really has no taste except for what I presume is preservatives.