Chestnuts

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Nov 3, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love chestnuts in all possible ways. More commonly I just boil them or roast them, but sometimes I buy them on the streets as well. It's pretty common in my country to see this sort of sales people if chestnuts. Do you like them? How do you cook them?

9369351_0h9kK.

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My mom is obsessed with chestnuts. Seriously, when the holiday season is in full swing, that's probably the #1 thing you can bring home for her and get on her good side in an instant, lol. I would come walking in the door with a bag of them and before I can even say "hi" she's got them on a tray in the oven roasting.

Personally I'm not crazy about them, I will eat them, but I don't see what all the fuss is over the flavor. But she goes bonkers over them when they are roasted in the oven. I believe she scores them at the top with an "x" to let some of the steam out while they are cooking, but otherwise eats them as is.

The one thing I've been meaning to do though is try to read up on how to get good ones and avoid stale ones, because it's usually hit or miss when I get them for her. Sometimes the whole bag is bad, other times they are great.

3. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I love chestnuts too. They have a nice sweet smell which makes them very tasty. We are not much different from your country. We have got sellers selling them on the streets, too. However, their supply is seasonal. The sellers sell them during autumn and winter only. I will boil them, too. If I have time, I will stew them with poultry meat. This is a wonderful dish when serving with hot white rice. My friends told me that chestnuts were good for our health. We could be full of energy and stayed young eating chestnuts.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had these all the time as a child. I liked peeling them and then finding how soft they were inside. They are good for you as a source of protein and are sweet. Many cooks now use them to make sauces and for stuffing. I had a mushroom and chestnut stuffing roast once and it was delicious, so as an ingredient it can be versatile as well as eating them by themselves.

5. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't really like peeling them, especially when they are raw. It's one of the hardest things to do in the whole world if you ask me! :D That is why I like them roasted or even boiled, they taste better and they peel way easier.