Children changing their minds?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by GemmaRowlands • Sep 11, 2014.

1. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Okay, so I know that a lot of people on here are already buying things for Christmas, and some of you have been for a long time now. However, we all know how often and how quickly children can change their minds about what they want - what happens if they do this about a big Christmas present that you've already got? Do you have a back up plan, or would you give them the same gift? If, for example, they mentioned that they might want something in May and you got it right away, it's a reasonable assumption that the trends would have changed by the time December actually comes around, so what if they have changed their mind? This is one of the main reasons that I don't like buying things too early, because I am worried about exactly this!

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you bought the gift early then quite obviously you can't return it for the child changes his/her mind. For me that would be pretty simple. If the kid says s/he won't accept the gift then s/he'd have to do without a gift that year. The gift I bought him/her would be sent to someone else who'll appreciate it.

The kid might sulk around a bit that would teach them an important lesson — half a loaf is better than none.

3. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    I definitely wouldn't get something different, just because my child changed his/her mind. While I do buy presents early, I try to buy things that are always interesting to kids, not just the latest fad. We did end up getting an additional present for my son from Santa last year that he saw in all the Christmas ads, but it is because he was so excited, talked about it for weeks, and it wasn't a big/expensive item.

4. LSJ-8

LSJ-8New Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't get anything different. However, here's my question: are you basing your purchases off something the child said in passing (or has begged and begged) or their "list to Santa?" My kids are still little but we don't make out our "Santa Letters" until just after the halfway point of the Christmas season. At that point, my husband and I have already purchased all of our gifts. We also tend to stick to things that our kids are REALLY into. My son is a diehard Cars and Planes (from Disney) fan, as well as dinosaurs. He has been for as long as I can remember, so those are always "safe" choices.

5. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Kids don't know their born these days. Don't want the gift you asked for fine don't have a gift at all. If I couldn't return it then I would just give it to someone else who could use it. There is no point it just sitting there. There are plenty of children who would appreciate a gift at all at Christmas. My daughter is very sweet and she don't chop and change that quick so I have never had that problem.

#5Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  6. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I know kids can be very finicky about things especially when it comes to things they decide they want. I say If I buy a gift and they change their minds and don't like the gift, like the previous person said I give it to someone who really wants it. We need to teach kids to be grateful for the things they receive as well as to give back to others.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't worry about it, not only children, adults change their minds and it's a fact of life. A gift is that a gesture and you learn to accept it in the spirit it was given. Even if children like the toys, a few months later something new will come out that they will want. That's how society is, bringing out new things all the time.

We all have to get used to gifts we may not have wanted or liked and we learn to deal with it. Children like the thrill of opening gifts, the bigger the better even if they wrapped inside a big box.