Choosing A Credit Card to Get

Discussion in Credit Cards started by vida_llevares • Nov 13, 2012.

1. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, everyone.

Considering the variety of credit cards sprouting all over the place, how do you choose which one to get?

2. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Personally, my goal is to always pay off my credit card bill. So, to me, interest rates are not really an issue. I prefer looking at the rewards that the card comes with. For instance, I have a cash-back credit card and an Amazon.com credit card. This is great because I use my credit cards like a debit card, paying off my balances every month. So, with the cash-back, I literally make money. If I use my other card, then I get points for Amazon.com credits. My plan with the Amazon points has been to occasionally buy myself things I otherwise wouldn't have gotten, buy gifts for the holidays by saving the points until November-December, etc.

The next credit card that I am looking at is a Banana Republic one. The points will give you store credit for Banana Republic, which is a store that I frequently shop at. And if you use the card AT Banana Republic, you earn triple points. Since I work in an office and my style has become more mature than before, a store like Banana Republic is perfect for me. I am just waiting to see if that's the best thing to do.

Every person, however, is different. Some may not really look at rewards. Some may travel, so they want something that gives them air miles. Some may drive a lot, so they want the most rewards to come for gas station purchases. Others may be worried more about interest rates, so they'll get something that has a lower rate. It all depends on the person.

3. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:

If you're a first timer, then unfortunately, the kinds of cards you'll be able to get may be limited. So for the most part, no matter who or what card you get, it will more than likely be a secured card. But that being said, think about your daily life and try to find a card that matches into it.

For example, if you're a playstation gamer, you can look into getting the playstation capital one card. It has a rewards setting that gives you extra money on PSN.

That's the kind of thing specific cards can do for you.