Christmas Gift Help!

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by lookatalthea • Dec 9, 2015.

1. lookatalthea

lookataltheaMember

Threads:
    My best friend has been saying for months that she really wants to get her hair colored, but it's too expensive for her. I REALLY want to get her a gift card for Christmas to her favorite salon for hair color, because she will absolutely love it and she is my best friend. However, when I told my husband, he wasn't very happy that I wanted to spend $200. It is a lot of money for us right now, but I really want to do it.
    Would it be tacky to give her a gift card for $100 and pay for half of the service instead?
    I could also just give her the whole $200, or scrap the idea entirely and get her something else. It's hard for me to say no because I personally really believe in giving people gifts that mean something to them, not just something random for the sake of giving them a gift.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    200 dollars for a hair coloring job seems extremely expensive to me. Can you find a cheaper salon? Also, you could really save money and offer to do it for her. I can't afford a salon for coloring, lalthough I would love to get my hair highlighted. I use dye out of the box, and I am perfectly happy with the results.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think you should give a gift you can not afford. Your friend would not want you to do that I am sure, if she really wanted to have her hair colored she would find a way to get it done. Once she gets it colored she will need money to keep it colored and you do not plan to pay for the upkeep do you, which is probably why she has not colored her hair. She thinks about the up keep and says to her self not now and so should you. Give her a gift that she will appreciate and you can afford. She will still love the gift and you.

4. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    It seems like a really nice gesture. I agree with Ke Gordon - is there any way you would consider a less expensive salon? If not, I do not see a problem with a gift card for part of the $200, even if it seems pretty expensive. I have never considered spending that much on my own hair.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It seems like you can't afford to give $200, and your husband would not agree with you as well, so those 2 reasons alone are enough for you to just consider giving her another gift, something that's within your budget. I know that you want to make your friend happy, but it's out of your budget, so don't force it. I think just give her a salon gift card that you can easily afford, at least she will get to save a bit of money when she uses it.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's out of your budget then don't do it. If your friend can't afford her usual salon, then she can try a cheaper one. I think $200 is a lot and I used to go to the salon to have it done all the time and I have long hair. I ended up using Groupon vouchers for top salons to do it, it was cheaper and I got my hair colored. I still think $100 is a lot to pay as part payment too, but it's up to you. I would buy something else, and let her choose if she wants to spend that much on her hair.

Color only lasts up to 8 weeks before you need the roots touched up, so it's not so much of a gift, but helping her pay for a luxury.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    If you were single, okay, but $200 is a lot to take out of a shared household budget even for a best friend. Maybe you can save up some change and give the gift for her birthday instead.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that is a lot of money to spend, but I suppose that's just how much salons cost. The question is, if you got her a $100 gift card, would she be able to afford the other $100 to make up the full amount, or would it just end up being wasted? Because I'm not sure of the point of you getting this type of gift for half a service if the other half can't be afforded either.

9. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    That is a ton of money to spend on hair coloring, must be a very nice salon. I do not think you should spend that much money if you are tight on cash. Maybe buy a $50 dollar gift card or something and just pay a little bit toward it.

10. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    I agree with the first replies of this thread, I think that you can easily find a way more cheaper salon. From my own memories I can tell you that a friend of mine once colored his hair and only cost him about 50$, and it was nicely and carefully done.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As others have said if you can't afford it now then you don't need to spend the $200. Your friend won't be disappointed because she knows nothing about your plans. I must admit it would have been the perfect Christmas gift for your friend but at times we all must make some tough decisions and I suppose this for you @OP is that time.

I suggest that you buy your friend a gift and when you feel spending $200 won't make a dent in your budget then that would be the right time for this.