Christmas Goal!

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by AlwaysAMama • Jun 3, 2012.

1. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    I know its only July, but I have set a new goal for Christmas!

As soon as I buy my kids new back packs for next school year I am going to start saving all the money I make online and saving my gc's for Christmas. I hope to have a 100% FREE Christmas! Using only money I make online.

I do have 5 kids to buy for but after last Christmas my husband and I decided to do 3 presents each for our kids. Like most people we just go overboard buying. I read some where about a family that they each get 3 presents, because if Jesus only got 3 why should they get more than him? I am hoping this year I can actually get something for my husband instead of making it all about the kids.

Do you have any Christmas goals?

2. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    Great goal, AlwaysMama - this is definitely something I would love to join you in as I have three children and really dread having to find the money for Christmas. Do you have a strategy or are you just relying on your own willpower - what I mean is if this was me I would have a hard time leaving the money to one side until Christmas because there is always something that needs paying now or something the kids need urgently. I wish you luck in meeting your goal. :)

3. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    That's a great goal you have. I don't have any kids of my own but it would be nice to have some kind of plan for Christmas. I'm usually the procrastinating type and I don't buy or save until December rolls around. I'm always feeling pressured that time of year. But I decided that I'd do things differently this year. I'm actually going to start putting aside money every month starting now so I won't be strapped for cash when December rolls around. I'm also going to try to buy one or two gifts each month beforehand. That way my list won't be be so long later on.

4. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    That's a great goal. I make a lot of my Christmas presents by hand and now is the time when I start. There's a lot of crocheting to get done (hats, scarves, afghans) and some flavored oils and vinegars take a couple months at least to prepare. I'm covering 3 ring binders in fabric to make photo albums and CD binders too this year, and decorating plain wood boxes for jewelry and knick-knack boxes. Plus putting together gift baskets. It's going to take 6 months to get it all done!

5. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    MariaAndrea - making homemade gifts is something I have considered in the past and really should give some more thought. While my kids wouldn't appreciate these kinds of gifts, my mum and grandmother would LOVE to receive something I had took the time to make and personalize. I usually, if I have time, make my own Christmas and Birthday cards - I find this saves a good amount of money in itself and people are more likely to keep the card rather then throwing it away after Christmas. I may have to get a plan together and have an organized Christmas this year!! Finally!! :)

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Wow, I must say that I am very impressed with the people on this thread. I only usually think of what to get my loved ones a couple of days before Christmas, sometimes even ON. I know, terrible but I am now inspired to get going and plan ahead on this front too.

Goals are so important. Why should such a fun-loving time as Christmas be any different? Thank you for this thread, I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it. (-:

7. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    My christmas goal is for me to earn money and travel for a week ortwo in Europe with my girlfriend. We have always dreamed to travel in Europe but we are just lacking funds. I hope that we both could gather enough funds so that we can finally see what we are dreaming of. :)

8. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    Money is tight so its going to be hard, but I think it helps that I am using the money I make online so it stays in my paypal. Out of sight out of mind. Also my husband is aware of my goal and he will help keep me motivated.

9. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    Oh, I forgot about making Christmas cards! I always do that too. saves a lot of money. I also make my own gift wrap. I save old gift wrap and scraps of pretty paper and tape it together into a pretty patchwork collage, or I'll use the old brown paper grocery bag trick to make paper and decorate it with paint and stamps and pretty ribbons for a rustic look. And I re-use a bunch of plain white boxes I got at the dollar store and decorate myself.

10. MasterProX

MasterProXMember

Threads:
    Christmas goals, huh?

Now that I think about it, I think it'd be a cool little challenge to see if I can get that electric violin I've always wanted (costs $1280) by Christmas, using only the money I've earned online...

This will prove to be... an enjoyable assignment...

11. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have any Christmas goals, however I am trying to go on a vacation at this end of this month.
    I also want to get some new tires and furniture so I have a lot to save for. Time for work!

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some really great goals in this thread. I also don't have any children. My family has agreed to spend money on the kids in the family. The only kid in my immediate family is my nine year old niece.

Some of the local banks have Christmas clubs. The goals is to add money monthly and buildup a nest egg for Christmas.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have developed the same habit! I always start planning for Christmas budget around this time so as not to overload my stress levels when November and December comes. I am glad to hear that you will be able to focus a bit more on your husband this year I'm sure he will appreciate it. Having kids do tend to make you focus on the children more and a lot less on the adults and planning this early is a great move and gesture to your husband. Advanced Merry Christmas to us! lol. :D

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Just think about this, why do Christmas when Christmas is everyday. If you serve the Lord that's an everyday thing. I don't save anything for Christmas. Christmas is a man made holiday for you to buy all there inventory left overs at the end of the year so they won't have so much. People you are fooling yourselves. I don't do Christmas because no one knows the exact date Christ was born. In my research, Jesus was born in April around the 17th, so it was in the warmer months, so if that is true, what is the hopla about Dec. 25, don't you think it is a little strange. It's about the stores inventory people. Check it out and stop tricking your kids.

15. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I have a large extended family, so I buy stuff all through the year to stash away for Christmas and birthdays. I always do Christmas without hitting the credit cards, so I don't end up paying for it all through the following year. I buy bargains online or instore, and wrap and label them as I decide who's getting what. As well as spreading out the cost, this also spreads the workload, and means I'm not too tired to enjoy the holiday.

16. mimi8zm

mimi8zmMember

Threads:
    I don't have kids yet but I end up spending all of my gift money for all my nephews and nieces and end up not buying anything for myself and my husband, even my mom! I have 3 nephews and 2 nieces. So I am definitely going to limit my gifts for them too so I can give to other members of my family. And its a good idea to get started early :)