Christmas Music Discussion

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Nov 13, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not too fond of traditional Christmas music as I find it too cheesy and hearing it every year has really made me kind of annoyed at their repetitiveness, but at the same time I do recognize that they help in getting me in the spirit so during the past few years I've been searching and downloading alternate versions of the songs so I could play some in the background at get together so without getting myself annoyed.

I usually just pick jazz versions so it would be calm and quiet but by now I've already gotten sick of those versions as well so I'd like to hear from you guys if you have any suggestions on alternative Christmas music you like to play during the holidays. I plan on downloading some on the weeks leading up to the day itself.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Omg, worst question in the world! haha. I have the hardest time narrowing it down.. so much so, you probably won't hear the same song twice in my house even though it's playing non stop lol. I can't pin point anything, but for me, I usually go back to my childhood for most of it. So 80s stuff like whatever album that was where all the celebrities came together for.. hunger I believe? Very Christmassy. And I grew up spending almost all of my Christmases out at my grandparent's so I actually snag music from the 40s and 50s to take me back as well (becayse THEY listened to it.. I wasn't alive back then lol). It's all in the feeling of it and the nostalgia for me.. so those are the base choices.. then some more modern things. I don't like newish stuff that doesn't have a christmas feel to it, if that makes sense. Some just sound like a christmas version of the crap you hear on the radio every day. But if it's pretty or "christmas catchy" (lol, I didn't know how else to describe it), then I'll play it. Sorry.. that wasn't any help at all haha.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They are cheesy, but we all know the words! When I worked in retail, the same songs in order would annoy me and I can only now listen to them without a heavy heart!

I was in Nepal trekking and it was decided to sing songs in our own languages, the porters and guides sang songs around the campfire, when it was our turn, the only songs we all knew were Christmas carols or Abba songs, so we sang Christmas carols!

They do remind me of happy carefree childhood days when my parents would play the Christmas tapes though!

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Christmas songs. I don't care if they're repetitive. As long as the melody is beautiful, I'm fine with that. I don't find Christmas songs to be cheesy at all. Yes, there are some songs with lyrics that seem to be written by a five year old, but then again, it's all about the spirit of Christmas. It's about joy and laughter. What I don't like though are medley remixes of songs, remixes that alter the tune or melody of the original music.