Christmas Shopping All Year Long?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Rosyrain • Feb 28, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I am one of those people who hates waiting until it is actually Christmas time to shop for gifts. I like to do it all year long to save myself some time and money I don't like the crowds and I want to be able to enjoy the season. When do you do your Christmas shopping?

2. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I do my Christmas shopping as soon as the sales come on but before the crowds, that's they key time in my opinion! However if I see something during the year before that I think someone will like I always make sure I pick it up when I can!

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There was a time I never could buy gifts because of an emergency. The money I'd planned to spend buying gifts was diverted elsewhere and the feeling wasn't that great. Since then, I always try to buy gifts early to avoid such embarrassments. I also don't like the Christmas crowds so the desire to avoid them compels me to do my Christmas shopping long before Christmas time.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know a lot of people who buy Christmas gifts all year round. It allows them to spread the cost and take advantage of any mid-season bargains. Plus there's the bonus of not having to brave the crowds in December.

5. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    When my Christmas list was a lot bigger and my daughter was young, I started my Christmas shopping on boxing day. There was also a big sale in July that I used to stock up on Christmas gifts. I have done a full turn around now and tend to be one of the last minute shoppers. I hate crowds so I give a lot of gift cards or cash for gifts these days!

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy anything that I see that's cheap and ideally can be given as gifts all year round to take advantage of the low price, so I can relate to the year round Christmas shopping that you're talking about. I think if we see something on sale, we should take advantage of it and just store it at home rather than to wait for Christmas sales where it's going to get crowded.

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    My daughter really likes arts and craft supplies, so I ended up picking up a couple of stocking suffers for her when I was at Office Depot the other day. They had some bargain bins out, so I got them items for less than a dollar each. Now I just have to keep them hidden for the next 8+ months. Should not be hard, I will just keep them in the trunk of my car for a while.

8. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Yea this was great I was going to create a thread but found this one.
    I just started and I find it really useful to have a list of important people in my life and vague gift ideas.
    Then when my girl feels like "going shopping" we will try to find something good for someone!

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like to do all of my Christmas shopping in advance, because I like to include seasonal themed presents which are only available at that time of year. However, I will buy things like cards, tags and wrapping paper in the sales straight after Christmas for me to use the following year, so that saves me a lot of money. And I will also pick up a fair number of things during the year as well, leaving me with only a handful of items to purchase when the time comes. Be careful that you don't overspend, though. Write down how much you have spent on each person, and what you have bought for them.

10. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I try to do my shopping throughout the year so that way I'm not going crazy at the end of the year trying to beat the crowds. If I see something I think someone will like or if something is on for a really good sale I will usually pick it up.

11. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I try to pick things up throughout the year for Christmas and birthdays, though this doesn’t always happen. But it does make life easier, not having to brave so much of the holiday shopping crowds. Especially as I have a friend who’s slightly difficult to shop for. When I’m purposely looking for things she’d like, I can hardly find anything, but when I’m just browsing I will always find something she’d like. Shopping way in advance is ideal for this.

12. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I pick up things throughout the year but I also save a little money each month to then be able to go Christmas shopping as well. I like to be able to buy things I see throughout the year that might work but I also buy things I know certain people would specifically like when I go Christmas shopping. An example of this is that certain people like products specifically from certain shops I don't go to throughout the year. So these shops I make a specific trip to and buy them something I know they'd like as a Christmas gift nearer the time. Other things I do pick up throughout the year though and I think it's best to take advantage of sales to do so!

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mother shops from the time that the January sales begin lol. I think that she sort of always has? Now that I have more money in my pocket, I have been purchasing little gifts here and there when I have been out and about. I haven't managed to get the full bulk of my Christmas shopping through this method yet, but the pile is coming along very nicely.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The biggest setback to buying Christmas gifts in advance is you may forget that you even bought them in the first place. You could be storing them in a place and forget where you stored them. They'd end up gathering dust. Another setback is to accidentally break them before you can give them to their respective recipients. It's better to buy a few weeks before holiday rush. At least your memory will still be fresh and you don't have to keep the gifts too long.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. You may forget, but that is why it is important to keep a list lol. My mother keeps a list that she ticks items off of once she has purchased them, and they have arrived. I think that if you have already purchased presents, and then something happens, then you ma have wasted your money though.

16. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought any Christmas presents for many years. And I also won't accept any. My family and friends get spoiled by me all year round. I like to live in the moment, and share what I have with those I care for. I don't want to wait until some special time of the year, but give and receive things whenever they are available. Life is short, things can happen at any time. I wouldn't want to live with any regrets.

17. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I always have my eyes opened for that perfect gift for a special someone. So it I happen to see it in January, July or whenever I will buy it then. The hardest part is trying to hang on to it until Christmas and not giving it to them before then. It is especially hard when it comes to the grand kids. I usually try to start in September or so but sometimes I end up being that last minute shopper. I am usually in the malls on Christmas Eve buying some last minute presents.

18. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is time to start shopping. The summer sales are starting so I can get some t-shirt's at a good price and some stocking stuffers to have on hand. I do not like the crowds or waiting until the last minute to shop.

19. Blake Carl

Blake CarlNew Member

Threads:
    I actually think in a way you are thinking as I really don't wait for Christmas. But I have no other option else this..

20. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    You can find better deals if you start shopping earlier. And I mean who has the money to buy a lot of gifts during the Christmas season only? I know that when my mom goes out she is always looking for gifts for my sister and I. That way she doesn't feel like she's spending a ton of money at the end of the season. I mean I don't blame her, plus in July there are always some really good deals that you can get.