Christmas Shopping Online

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by charahome • Dec 4, 2013.

1. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    Last year was the first year I joined the Online Christmas shoppers.

I was able to get 80% of my presents that way. The greatest part was the items were shipped directly to the homes of my children and grandchildren. They all had their gifts on time, and the grandbabies were able to open their presents Christmas Morning.

The kids sent me pictures of each of them opening the presents.

I am doing it again this year. I was able to get some great deals, and even free shipping offers.

I purchased an over the stove microwave, a new XBOX 360 with Kinect, a Tablet, among others.

Do you shop at all online, are you thinking about it?:)

2. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    Do you mean 'Online Christmas shoppers' as a group or as a community? Haha.
    Yeah, I shop online all the time as well. You can get some really good deals that way, and the supply is endless! Bought a PS4 online, got a great deal (it was a bundle) and it arrived in perfect condition.

I will probably get the Christmas shopping done over the internet as well.

3. iagirl

iagirlMember

Threads:
    Last year I did most of my shopping online. This year I ran into some really good deals in the stores so I didn't do as much online. It does make things so much easier for me when I do. I don't ship too many things so it doesn't help much there.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There were a couple of years that I did all of my Christmas shopping online. I wasn't driving at the time, and I was living too far away from my family or friends, so it was near impossible for me to get around (other than spending hundreds of dollars on taxi rides to and from the store). In fact the one year, I did all of my shopping on Amazon alone. It worked out really well, and in most cases I also got free shipping on many of my orders. I think Amazon raised their minimum order requirement for free shipping from $25 to $35, but even with that, it's still easy to qualify for it.

One of the other big benefits is you can often find merchandise on there that isn't even available at your local stores. There are many models of cameras for example that Best Buy doesn't even carry, but Amazon does. Plus you get the added benefit of price comparison from multiple vendors all in one spot.

The only thing I would be wary of is make sure you are ordering things that you know the person you are buying them for will definitely want. Stuff like clothes or perfumes, that people may be more picky about, it kind of sucks making them have to go through the trouble of sending back and waiting for a refund, especially if they end up having to pay for shipping. At the very least, be prepared to give them the money instead I suppose, and offer to take care of the returning for them. Also, get your orders in well before Christmas in case there are any unexpected delays or you need to ship something back for an exchange.

5. tweety23

tweety23Member

Threads:
    I usually shop online all the time. This Christmas will probably be no different. Although during the Christmas time I do enjoy roaming the stores in the mall to kind of get the full Christmas experience. I'll probably still do a little bit of that too.

6. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I've been shopping online for Christmas for years. I love it because I hate the long lines at stores during the Holidays. I also like how I can just mail them off to myself or my family without having to carry a bunch of bags and boxes through multiple stores. I still remember in the old days having to walk through the mall laden with shopping bags. Then having to take them to the car for storage and return to the mall to continue shopping. I don't even think it's safe to do that anymore. I've heard that people scope parking lots, looking for cars full of shopping bags -- free gifts.

7. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    Great sense of humor. The XBOX i also purchased in bundle and it included extra control, 5 games, and subscription to XBOX live. I thought It was a great deal.

I did have a problem with the tablet, but the store allowed me to return it in person. Which I thought was a great option.

8. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    Could you link me to the deal? I'd like to check it out, it really sounds too good to be true. And one of my friends mentioned that he'd like an Xbox One, so I'll send it to him if it's that good for sure.

9. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    This was last year, through Purchasingpower.com it is a website that employees have access through payroll deduction.

I am not sure if they have the same deal this year.

Oh, the XBOX, has been here with us for a year. I am making my last payment this week, as they divide the payments into 26 biweekly payments.

You may want to see if your employer has any perks, or purchasing options.

Yes. I do enjoy browsing the stores, it is a form of therapy. I will go earlier in the day, or later in the evening. I try to only do that when there are not that many people shopping.

When my kids where younger, I use to get a babysitter, and I would go to the midnight offers.

10. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I too have been a predominantly online shopper for about three years. I've made awesome use of Black Friday and Cyber Monday from the comfort of my couch. I also always use

first, which during the holiday sales typically raises its cash back. An added bonus AFTER Christmas, to get that check in the mail. (Last year it was $40.)

My thing is this: traffic is a headache. I also have three kids. Dragging them in and out of stores is a pain. I used to love the mall at Christmas time, late at night when it seemed sort of quiet. It has been YEARS since I've been in a quiet mall. (I think it is my current city, which only has one mall so everyone and their dogs go there.)

I also like the ease of price comparison when I'm home on my computer, and the idea that if I don't like something, I can probably change my mind and return it after the holidays, no problem.

11. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I generally do most of my shopping online because it is easier and generally cheaper for me.

There is also the point that I hate going shopping when it's really crazy and crowded.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Regardless of the season, I usually shop online if I see that the price of an item is cheaper as compared to the physical stores. Or if the item that I want is only available online and I can't buy it in my country. But sometimes, I also can't help but buy the things that I don't really need when I tend to check out online stores, so I try to not visit them to avoid the temptation.

13. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    By the majority of the posts, it looks like most have answered that online shopping is a good deal, great comparison avenue, convenient, and savings. I dislike crowds, so I will continue to shop online.

Each year I look forward to it. I have found great deals, and have made sure that I only deal with reliable and reputable sources.

14. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I did my shopping online last year, which was not a good experience bbecause it took me forever to get my refund from one item I returned. I don't think I am going to shop online tthis year because I prefer going to the store. I used to do a lot of online shopping, but not anymore since I like the real shopping experience in the store.

15. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I love to shop online that's where I spend the most of my money ,:) I think it the greatest thing, I have found great deals at a cheap prices. I love that I can often get free shipping on certain items,and the items arrive on time. This year christmas list came straight from shopping online. I didn't have to go run through stores,traffic, or crowds of people. I give online shopping a plus for anyone.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do all of my holiday shopping online because the slection is better and you can compare prices from all over the web to get the best deal. Plus I don't like crowded stores or waiting in line, so even if an item costs a dollar or two more online, I'll sometimes buy it online anyway to save me inconvenience and hassle.

17. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I shop online sometimes, it's quick and easy, and of course convenient, but I don't shop on line nearly as much as I should or could. I like QVC, because I like looking at the hosts present the products on TV, then I feel inspired to shop.

18. alfredsettle

alfredsettleBanned

Threads:
    These Christmas I did the vast majority of my shopping on the web. Not long from now I ran into some decent arrangements in the stores so I didn't do as much on the web. It does make things such a great amount of simpler for me when I do.

19. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Christmas shopping online is the best anyone can invented. :) I am a big fan of buying online, but in Christmas it's even better because we can avoid the crowds in the shopping malls and having the good delivered at our door, so in one word, I love it!

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This sounds great and I wish we had similar groups and programs here locally. I'd surely participate but I think I might have second thoughts about having to pay monthly because I'm much more comfortable with paying for everything upfront although I think it's probably allowed and you guys probably just take advantage of not having to use up so much of your funds upfront. If it meant that I could get as many items at low prices though I might just change my mind.