Chromebooks?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by PhilA • Sep 1, 2014.

1. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    Hi, I would appreciate a little advice. I am in the market for a new PC/Laptop. I have never had a laptop before and think I would prefer that to a PC this time as I can be more mobile. Someone recommended a Chromebook to me today, I had never heard of one before, my understanding is that it runs everything Google really well. That would be fine for me, I don't want to play games or do anything fancy, basically all I need is to work on my websites via WordPress, use chrome browser and watch some video.

So is a Chromebook best for me, and which is the best one? I find it all a little overwhelming as I am not super-techy. I would like a really powerful one though, so it doesn't go out of date too fast and handles tasks easily.

Thanks

2. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I'm also thinking about getting a Chromebook.

Here's what I think about it so far:

- How concerned are you with screen size? The cheaper ones have really small screens. We're talking 11 inch screens.
    I don't think this would be a problem for me.

- How concerned are you with really small keyboards? 11 inch screens = really small keyboards.
    This, I might have a problem with...

- As far as Chrome OS goes, be sure that you don't want to run anyother apps. Because Chrome OS won't be able to run a bunch of them.

- You really need to think about battery life also.

And I think thats it...
    At this point, I'm still thinking I'm going to pull the trigger on this.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    It sounds like a chromebook bight be a good computer for you if you are planning to do all your computer work online. The reason I chose not to get a chromebook is that it has such limited storage and usually they don't have a CD/DVD player in them. I really needed that, so I got a different computer. If believe chromebooks store most of your data in the cloud, rather than on the computer itself. For me that sound like a potential problem because if you don't have an internet connection you don't have access to your files. There are a number of good non-chromebook laptops out there that are very inexpensive, so it all depends on your personal computing needs.

4. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    I would get a laptop as it would be a close to a PC experience.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that these machines are excellent value, but you have to make sure that they're definitely doing everything that you need them to. For example, if you're going to be using it for a lot of work you may well find that the screen size isn't big enough for you, and this is something that could grow to be an issue in the future. Also, you should remember that it may not be as speedy as other machines, because it simply isn't powerful enough. But if I was someone who just needed to browse the internet and type up documents then I would certainly consider getting one of these machines, because it is one of the cheapest on the market, and you're not likely to find anything that is this good value for money anywhere else - unless you go for a refurb.