Chromebooks

Discussion in Product Reviews started by reubhole1 • Feb 20, 2015.

1. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    I recently bought my girlfriend a chromebook for her birthday. My reasoning was, she didn't need much computing power since all she wants to do is check email, watch movies and sometimes create some word documents. I thought the chromebook would be simple and straight forward enough for her to do these things. I was wrong. Since the chrome OS relies entirely on having an internet connection, a lot of things you take for granted on a Mac or PC just aren't possible. Google have created, in my opinion an entirely new, unnecessary operating system that is not user friendly, and is totally outgunned by any run of the mill laptop. Maybe these shortcomings are temporary and Google just need some time for more people to adopt this way of computing. But if you're thinking about a chromebook, I say go for a powerbook or small laptop instead, or wait until these annoying kinks are ironed out.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So you wanted the device to check email, watch movies, and create Word documents. Yet you're disappointed. It turns out that every single Chromebook will achieve all of those tasks with ease. Office 365 allows users to access Word, Excel, and other Office products through a Web browser. Chromebooks, even those with 2GB of memory, will do email and streaming without a problem.

How would you stream content or check email without an Internet connection, anyways?

3. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I have heard a lot of negative feedback about the Chromebook but was not entirely sure why it was disliked until now. I have been thinking about getting a tablet or small notebook. I'll be sure to steer clear of Chrome now.

4. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    I was disappointed, yes. My girlfriend was quite satisfied. She can do all the things she wants to do. Being a PC user myself, I'm used to having the tools of a PC available, access to a variety of programs that make my computing experience easier. For the basic user Chromebooks should be fine. It does not offer the many things a PC can though. For example, she would like to watch movies with subtitles (english is not her first language). You need to download an entirely separate app to watch any video with subtitles! It is impossible to load them with the standard video player. This is just one of the simple things not possible that I've come to expect being a PC user.

5. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    Chrome OS was designed to be for internet users not really for anything else. Everything you need has to come from the play store. I think there is a third party extension that will allow you to install windows applications, but its an aggravating process. It's just a part of the product. It was designed around Internet usage and it is extraordinary at its specialized niche.

6. Yidna

YidnaNew Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with Scipio. It's an OS designed around Chrome, and everything you're describing would require an internet connection on anything else.

What do you mean by this?

I've dealt with Windows, OSX, and Linux before, and I'm inclined to think what you're feeling is how people (I, specifically) feel when working with a new operating system. I don't know what you're expecting from a browser-based OS, but as far as I know, it does everything it's supposed to be expected to do. Maybe it'll grow on you one day.

7. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    Maybe it will grow on me one day, and maybe I was expecting too much from it. If you buy a chromebook to supplement your computer and not to replace it, as long as you take the time to learn a new operating system, you could probably be satisfied. I, however will stick to my PC with VLC, Utorrent and all the other programs that I'm familiar with.

, things not possible on a chromebook I have noticed include :
    The inability to view any annotated PDF file. Although they do have a standard PDF viewer, this sometimes isn't enough.
    Some codecs are missing for video and audio files, something VLC can handle with ease.
    No Local network support. Yes you can use the cloud, but sometimes you want to share over your local network only. Not possible on a chromebook.
    Yes they are fast and and have good battery life, all I'm saying is know what you're buying before you're buying one.
    Maybe

can tell us some of the extraordinary niche uses it has so people can make an informed decision.

8. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    My school has implemented chromebooks into the classroom. Although they are small and not built like a gaming computer, it gets the job done in class. It serves it purpose, to showcase Google's features and services.

9. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    Thank you for your honest opinion. I found that a Chromebook would have even been insufficient for my child. I thought about getting him one since he is young, but he also likes to game so we ended up getting him a used laptop and have been quite happy. I have been thinking lately about getting him a chromebook because the laptop is getting old at this point, but this kind of reminded me why I passed in the first place.

10. S.O. Price

S.O. PriceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not surprised to hear about this. I had toyed with getting a Chromebook at one point because they are so inexpensive. However, I decided not to based upon my frustration with my Android smart phone and a netbook I have that has the Android OS as well. Google online products (mail, blogger, docs, etc.) are very cost effective (free) but when it comes to a laptop, low price usually means more frustration. I know with both my smart phone and my netbook, Google has added all kinds of apps that I NEVER use. Especially on my smart phone when I'm struggling to find space for apps that I do want to download, it is annoying that I can't find the space because of a bunch of useless Google apps.

11. ScipioPro

ScipioProMember

Threads:
    Chromebooks have several advantages

1. They are incredibly speedy due to their specialized nature. Chrome OS requires little resources to operate(unlike chrome 32 bit version; oops being passive aggressive).

2. In-built security, even better than microsoft. Chrome OS is similar to android and google updates its security measures fairly regularly. You won't even have to restart your computer.

3. x86 and arm architectures are going to be big on Chrome OS

4. The application menu IS MUCH BETTER IMO to the windows app store, or apple store.

5. Access to all google products and apps that can be installed on android. This is a huge advantage in my opinion. Any native app to android can be installed on chrome OS I believe. Apps are much more clean, organized, and specialized than windows programs, IMO. I think Google has even said eventually android and Chrome OS will merge.

6. They are cheap and flexible.

12. reubhole1

reubhole1Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the insight

. Now everyone here knows the pros and cons of Chromebooks, hopefully they will be able to make a better informed purchase!

13. mizrael

mizraelMember

Threads:
    The chrome book is a very practical but basic piece of hardware, there is nothing wrong with it If your intentions are to check emails, browse the Internet and play games like Solitaire, it's limited in its capacity to play different movie formats, it has limited hard drive space to save games, if you plan to purchase a computer, you really need to know what you going to use it. For instance, gamers spend a lot of money on gaming computers. Specifically for gaming purposes where they have two even three very expensive video cards at their disposal, the average computer user don't need a computer like this. It's a good idea to ask the sales rep for advice and tell him what you're going to use your computer for before buying.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've toyed around with the idea of maybe getting one of these - mainly because I am currently writing tons of content for various web sites I own, and I just want something simple and lightweight to write with when I'm watching TV or outdoors/travelling but near somewhere with Wi-Fi (which isn't hard to find these days). I don't really feel like lugging out a Windows laptop, then waiting forever for it to launch, then getting bombarded with Windows Updates and Flash and Acrobat updates and Antivirus updates, all slowing me down and making me reboot my computer several times before I can get to work.

My gripe with the Chrome books though is they are essentially throwaway devices which become outdated within a year or so, especially considering how fast Google's ecosystem is changing. I got burned on an Android tablet that could barely run any new Android apps within a year of me buying it because it was already considered "outdated" and I'm cautious of the same happening with a Chrome Book.

15. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    As far as the Chromebook goes, I think the advertising is very misleading.
    For a machine just to check emails on, its very good. But that's all its good for in my opinion and let's be honest, who wants to pay that much just to do that?
    For maybe an extra £50 you can get a fully functioning, do it all piece of kit here in the U.K. I made the mistake of purchasing a Chromebook and took it back within 48 hours, my advice would be to spend a little more, you won't regret it.

16. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I like Google, and I was thinking of getting myself a Chromebook, so reading this thread is really helpful to know the good and the bad. Different opinions are just great to take into consideration. I am a PC user, so I probably would not go for Chromebook as I do a lot of different things online.

17. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    The chromebook can be a great appliance but it really depends on your specific needs. It has many positives such as a 15 second start up time and dedicated google user accounts. I think it is great for quick searches, email and you tube that kind of thing, but not suitable for gaming or any heavy duty applications.

It probably serves best as an accompaniment to another PC in the household rather than as a stand alone product but then as i said it depends on your specific computing requirements.

18. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I don't own a Chrome Book but I've tried them out on multiple occassions. Was very impressed with the speed and functionality. Also very affordable and a very good bang for your buck. Only draw back is not being able to save programs and files onto the device.

19. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Chromebook and I have to admit that I have ben disappointed. It is probably the worse laptop I have ever owned. I have purchased cheap laptops in the past and I feel that they still functioned a lot better. More than just the capabilities, this is the first time I had a laptop that broke so quickly.