Cigarettes

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Dora M • Apr 3, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you smoke? I used to smoke for a couple of years but haven't touched cigarettes for a very long time now. I see some of my friends spend more than $40 each week on cigarettes. I think that is a lot of money you give away for the basic purpose of destroying your health.
    I can understand how hard it is to shake an addiction, but I don't really have much sympathy for smokers, even though I used to be one.

2. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah I do smoke and I am not looking for sympathy. It is and expensive habit, but most habits are. Smokers do not smoke with the basic purpose or intention of destroying their health. They smoke because they enjoy it.

3. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I have never smoked in my life and I do not intend to start smoking now. I do not like the smell of cigarettes and also the effects are adverse. I think those that are addicted should try and use the electronic cigarettes. They can help you to quit smoking.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't smoke, not because of health implications or anything like that, but because I never really had the taste for it. I did try to smoke, when I was in sixth grade I stole a stick of Marlboro from my dad and after a few puffs (and a lot of violent coughing) I just threw the half smoked cigarette in the garbage. And when I was in high school I did try smoking again and realized that it's not going to work for me.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think they are only spending that much because they can. I doubt anyone would prioritize cigarettes when they only have a limited budget, no matter how addicted they are because I don't think smoking is that type of addiction. If it were me, I'd probably just cut down if I really couldn't stop myself so I'd at least end up only wasting a portion than usual, and also I wouldn't be dying as quickly. I'd say cutting down would be the best option to get the best of both worlds.

6. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Smoking is that strong of an addiction. The physical withdrawals aren't as bad as withdrawing from other drugs, but the psychological withdrawal is. I see people prioritizing cigarettes over food all the time. They say they don't have enough money to eat as often as they should and turn around and buy cigarettes.

7. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No and considering how old I technically am, obviously I never will. The only drug I was ever addicted to was caffeinated soda. I'd drink Mt. Dew Red, Dr. Pepper and Vanilla Coke all the time. It was awful. When I went through withdrawal, it was even easier for me to get headaches and I wasn't myself. If I didn't have the soda enough, I would be depressing. I wouldn't laugh at like anything. I kicked it though cold turkey and I will not ever go back to drinking it on a regular basis.
    It is hard to kick the addiction of cigarettes more I'm sure. They have to want to do it.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to smoke, I actually started smoking occasionally during grade school when my friend taught me how to, but now not anymore. I never really got addicted to smoking and I would buy just a couple of sticks when I feel like it. Plus it has to be menthol cigarettes, if it's non-menthol I won't buy it.

9. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have never smoked and I have no plans to start. My boyfriend smokes and it's really the only thing we consistently fight over. It's not just the money he spends on cigarettes as much as the health risks involved. Additionally, I absolutely do not want the apartment to smell like a smoker lives there so he smokes out the window 40+ floors in the sky. To me it just doesn't seem worth it but I am not going to stop arguing with him on this because in addition to ruining his health he is also passing his second hand smoke on to me.